cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
balham
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Poor upload speed (Infinity)

Hi, My phone line/broadband (Infinity) are both working OK except for a poor upload speed (consistently low over the past year). The test/stats are given below. Generally my download speed is about 10 Mbps and upload speed about 0.5 Mbps. I can live with the download speed but the upload speed is increasingly proving a problem. I've done all the tests with a single high-spec PC connected via Ethernet to a BT Smarthub with wireless switched off and extension disconnected.

I've tried going through the BT helpline, but they just say everything is OK and want to refer me to the retentions/cancellations customer dept (do they want to get rid of me as a customer?).

The broaband availability checker shows that I should be getting between 1.8 and 3.7Mbps for the upload speed.

I would be grateful for any help please. I've noticed from other posts that when it is possible to speak to an engineer, they can be very helpful - any suggestions for this (without the risk of getting a large bill)?

TEST RESULTS

1. Best Effort Test:

Download Speed : 7.82 Mbps

1. Upstream Test:

Upload Speed : 0.5 Mbps

Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.

STATS

Data rate: 957 bps / 15.18 kbps

Maximum data rate: 957 / 17440

Noise margin: 6.7 / 6.1

Line attenuation: 29.5

BT Broadband details Teignmouth_1.jpg

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Poor upload speed (Infinity)

have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that helps by eliminating your internal wiring from causing a problem?

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
balham
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did the test using the test socket - so there was no internal wiring involved. I did the Quiet Line test with a corded phone - no hisses/crackles/pops though I think I can detect a quiet hum. 

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 4 of 21

The quiet line test should be silent.

0 Ratings
balham
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 21

I'll try to problem-solve the origin of the hum.

Meanwhile, will a hum impact upload speeds?

One other question - from the data I posted, do you think there is something wrong with the upload speed, or should I just accept this as the best I'm going to get?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 21

your up speed is lower than estimated so would expect better but ISP don't appear to prioritise up speed problems normally just down speed  your down speed is right at bottom of estimate

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
balham
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 21

Thanks for the replies. Just one thought .... there is a long length of external cable going around the house to the master socket - it is over 100m. Could this be an issue - see photo below:

BT external wiring.jpg

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

the longer the cable from the cabinet to pole to house to master socket the slower the connection will be  You probably can only have a say after dropwire from pole reaches your home

0 Ratings
balham
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 21

Thank you for all your replies. Based on all of the above, it would be good to hear opinions as to whether it is likely that BT can do anything to improve the speed (e.g. cabling/cabinet/equipment settings) and if so, how best to achieve this (e.g. by somehow getting to talk to engineers rather than customer "service" staff)?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 21

the engineers work for openreach not your ISP and they openreach only deal with their customers which are the ISPs so you can't contact them and get a reply

did you check out the hum on quiet line test with corded phone  if you were using a cordless phone then a dull hum is normal

0 Ratings