Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkG33
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 5

Possible HR fault?

Hi community, 

I've had some on and off issues with my internet. 

I kept getting a brief one off disconnection (Enough to kick me off my gaming sessions.) According to the Smart Hub the DSL uptime can be back to zero or System uptime and I even had both reset indicating something is disconnecting.

I thought it was the boiler kicking in causing SHINE but I've been here for 16 months and it's only been a problem since September. So it would've happened sooner. I appear to be interleaved too which isn't a surprise. 

I got fed up so I used BT's report a fault and after all the filling in, it concluded; 'There is a fault outside your home.' An estimated fix of the end of November 14th. Now when I look for the fault it doesn't appear in the 'Open Faults' or 'Closed Faults' on MyBT. I wonder where it went.. 

.. So I decided to use a corded landline for the first time to listen for noise and after about a minute or two the Smart Hub disconnected, I think there was a background 'woosh' sound out of nowhere or some noise then clear.

Then calling 17070 I tried the quiet line test, I heard a little bit of noise it was small but just enough I could tell there was something then a totally clear line or what appears to be clear.

I forgot the sequence in order but I remember; Purple, Orange, Pink then steady Blue. Flashing or static I can't say for sure it was quick-ish. 

I'll have to test it again soon.

Is this a HR fault and would this possibly cause the one off drops too?

Thanks. 

Additional info;

Master Socket 5C

MK4 faceplate

No extensions 

Hub stats;

Serial number:

+084316+NQ81559310

Firmware version:

SG4B1000E01E

Firmware updated:

12-Oct-2019

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 1 Hours 25 Minutes 20 Seconds

Data rate:

20.00 Mbps / 56.67 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

22012 / 67781

Noise margin:

6.6 dB / 6.3 dB

Line attenuation:

14.7 dB

Signal attenuation:

0 dB / 14.7 dB

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

15 MB Uploaded / 407 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Not active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-5S93

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Channel 11

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-5S93-5

5 GHz wireless channel:

Channel 48

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

AC:3B:77:EF:07:AB

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

BT DSL Checker;

High  Low   High     Low

80     62.2    19      18

80     59. 7   17.1   20

Downstream Handback Threshold;

*This is my signature...it's a bit boring*
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Possible HR fault?

Did you try quiet line test using a filter in the test socket as this eliminates faceplate and extension sockets from causing the problem

your boiler could go faulty anytime. Just because it was ok yesterday dies not mean it is not causing a problem now

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
MarkG33
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the ideas. 

Yes I used a filter when I did that, I should have been more detailed in my original post sorry. I don't have any extensions just one master socket but I guess it suggests the faceplate is ok. 

The boiler is only a year old, how can I tell if it is that causing an issue? It's not on a timer to fire up at any specific time.

I'm perhaps just clutching at straws at this point using the boiler as a possible cause. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

did you say that one or more drops in connection caused the actual hub to reset not just the internet connection?  if hub is resetting then I would check power supply and also are there many devices connected to the hub ethernet ports?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
MarkG33
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

I've seen it reset itself in the past when the system uptime has reached 14 days then the whole router resets or 14 days of DSL uptime. Other than that using the landline yesterday appeared to reset the whole router twice which is odd now I think of it. 

Usually when it drops the DSL it does it the once and that's it. Not resetting the whole thing.

The only device that's connected via ethernet is a PS4 Pro. Could that be an issue?

Thanks. 

0 Ratings