cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Power cut then internet stopped working ONT BOX, ASUS router

So we had a power cut ( for reference I have my own modem ASUS RT-AC86U

It isn’t the first time I have had a power cut over the years with full fibre so I don’t understand what the current issue is, basically since it came back on it work connect back up my ONT box provided shows 

Power = on

LOS = off

PON = off 

LAN = on/flashing 

my modem is plugged in through the WAN cable 

I contacted bt but obviously using third party equipment they are not able to provide any answers what I want to know is if I can determine if it’s my side and a me problem or something happened when all the power went out in my area as it was just a couple houses I doubt it has anything to do with it but I’m scratching my head wondering what to do 

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Power cut then internet stopped working ONT BOX, ASUS router

PON LED should be on.

Try powering down the ONT for an hour or so or even overnight & see if it comes back.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

I’ll try that, I have seen this suggested else where is it a common thing ?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

No idea, but we know there's an issue with either the ONT or external service. It's not unheard of for any piece of kit to behave strangely when power comes back after an outage. especially if the line was unstable for a while. Powering it down for a period might clear a hiccup.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

Okay thank you !

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

LOS =off , PON = off is a something of a contradiction, both should never really be off or on together , the signal must be  OK ( hence no LOS , loss of signal, but the PON isn’t lit either , so no signal being received so the LOS should be lit ….it’s possible that the ONT is faulty , hence the nonsense visible indication , if a light signal is being received then PON should be lit and if the ONT isn’t authenticated the PON light flashes, no signal, or insufficient signal, the LOS is lit .
If you have already powered off and on ,and no difference, you need to report it , TBH , using a third party router is irrelevant if the Openreach side needs attention.

If you suspect your router , install the SH2 temporarily 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

Sounds like the ONT is broken. 

If resetting it doesn’t work I’d Report it as faulty and an Openreach Engineer would need to come out and Replace it.

0 Ratings