cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anndymcl
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Power cuts frying my hub

We get quite a few power cuts where I live and every time it happens I lose my broadband afterwards.

Sometimes a power cycle or reset does the trick, other times it seems to resolve itself if I leave it overnight - during which time it looks like the hub (Smart Hub 6) is cycling through all the different lights again and again.

Would a simple surge protector help?

I was thinking of something like the Belkin BSV102af SurgeCube.
I noticed that it's available in the BT shop, so presumably BT approve it ... but it's half the price on Amazon 😉

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Power cuts frying my hub

A UPS would be a better option. I have quite a few short power cuts over the year, for the last 38 years, although things have improved over the last five years when some local cable were replaced.

I use an APC   Back-UPS, which has normal mains sockets on it, and my router, NAS and computers plug into it.

It can provide up to 20 minutes backup.

The latest version seem to be this one, mine is only 550VA

APC Back-UPS ES - BE700G-UK - Uninterruptible Power Supply 700VA (8 Outlets, Surge protected)

0 Ratings
pippincp
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

A UPS would be a better bet.

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 4 of 5

Good morning @anndymcl  and welcome back (it's been a long time).

Thanks for posting. From what you've mentioned I'd have to agree with both @pippincp  and @Keith_Beddoe . Your best bet, given you seem to have quite a few power cuts, would be the UPS. Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
JetLag
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Many areas have been suffering power cuts recently following Storm Eunice, with people complaining about lack of broadband and no digital telephone service. Indeed we had no power for 24 hours!

In view of the fact that power cuts seem to be ongoing I have invested in an APC UPS. This will maintain my broadband connection (router and modem connected) for a period of time.

It will also allow my Synology NAS to power down safely in the event of future loss of power.

I have been considering a UPS for some time and decided it was a sensible move to protect my NAS data in the future.

Not had a power cut since it was installed!!!!

0 Ratings