Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Danniey
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Powerline Extender Speed Slows Down After 5 Minutes

Hi,

I have a pair of BT Broadband Extender 600s which have work perfectly when I am at my house, speeds of 40mb down which is what the wifi signal gives too, however I am at my fathers house for a fortnight and when I plug the extenders in I get a speed of 60mbs which holds for a few minutes then it drops to less than 10mb. I've moved plug sockets, replaced ethernet cables on both ends, disconnected every other linked device, and relinked the pair and every time I unplug and replug the speed shoots up to 60mb (which is what the wifi connection is!) and then after 5 minutes drops to less than 10mb.

I took them back home yesterday to double check it wasn't the extenders and they were working as normal with no issues, so I'm wondering what the issue is here, is the speed getting throttled? The fact that it shows a 60mb connection but then drops instantly drops is incredibly frustrating! 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Powerline Extender Speed Slows Down After 5 Minutes

your speed is not being throttled as you say

could simply be the electrical wiring in your father's home is not as good as that in your home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Danniey
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

I'm just curious why it shows such a high speed when it's plugged in for it to drop, surely any issue would be immediately present upon plugging it in?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

If your father's Internet connection was being throttled it would happen all the time not just when you plugged in Powerline adaptors.

As has been said, it could be poor wiring however you should check that your father has turned off "smart setup" on the Homehub. It can cause problems with some devices.

See link how to do that.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

it could be that on connection you get speed expected but signal encounters the poor electrical cable it has to drop speed to maintain a connection.  just suggestion and one thing for sure there is a problem and it does not seem to be the adapters

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Is your father also a BT Broadband customer using a BT Home Hub?

You need to also see if the speed drops on the Ethernet ports of the hotspot 600, to see if its just a wireless issue.

0 Ratings
Danniey
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

I switched off Smart Setup unfortunately to no change, and yes both my father and I are BT Infinity users.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Try the Ethernet ports, as it could be that the wireless channel that the hotspots are using, are very congested.

You can login to the hotspot and change the wireless channel

0 Ratings
Danniey
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

I'm using the Wired Broadband Extenders, not using the Wifi signal at all.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

0 Ratings