cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rodleydragons
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Problems with Connection Dropping - Hub 5 - Wired connection

We have the BT Infinity on a Home Hub 5.

The problem has been occuring now for the past few days, the Speeds are great.. we are getting 76 upload and 18 download, however, the connection is intermittent.

Midway through something the whole thing drops out.. and we get the amber flashing light. The connection is wired to the main PC however we do have peripherals using the wi fi too such as Xbox and tablet.

I have tried a connection test which says everything is ok.. I have tried unplugging the Hub from the actual socket.. and waiting before plugging it back in... I use the BT desktop help, this runs its checks and then says "we have made the necessary adjustments and you are back online" and we are back on for a while..   but what adjustments?? and why is this happening all the time??

I am not sure what else to do now.. summer holidays.. kids on xbox live, I am getting whined at left right and centre.. so any help would be appreciated.. many thanks!

PS have run the anti virus etc.. nothing found.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Problems with Connection Dropping - Hub 5 - Wired connection

if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester

are you using the test socket with a new filter even if you have a SSFP

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number Wholesale FTTC

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
rodleydragons
Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Sorry for the late response but it has been a busy week with one thing and another.

the Helpdesk shows as follows:-

1. Product Name: HomeHub5 2. Serial number: +076284+1451000301 3. Firmware version: v0.07.05.0A13-BT (Type B) Last updated 10/12/2015 4. Board version: 01 5. VDSL uptime: 0 days, 00:29:11 6. Data Rate: 15998 / 79822 7. Maximum Data Rate: 22899 / 83924 8. Noise Margin: 11.4 / 7.3 9. Line Attenuation: 11.2 / 12.8 10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0 11. Data sent/received: 43.0 MB / 1.1 GB 12. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

the bt speedtester shows  Download 62.33 (which is a tad lower than usual)

Upload is 13.83  and Ping 22.13

the socket has been checked out and all is fine

Wholesale FTTC :-

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Range A (Clean)8067.22020--Available----
VDSL Range B (Impacted)76.8492014.3--Available----
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 3--2 to 4Available----
ADSL MaxUp to 3--2 to 6Available----
WBC Fixed Rate1----Available----
Fixed Rate1----Available----
VDSL Multicast------Available----
ADSL Multicast------Available----

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market B Exchange.

For VDSL or G.fast Ranges A and B, the term "Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions, and the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Dec-2012; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.

The quiet line test was sadly very crackly, as has normal telephone conversations.

When we first got BT not long after we had a similar issue (we have been customers for several years now)  and it was relating to a large tree not on ur property which belongs to the council and our wires pass through it.

I can only assume it is the same issue again, that the constant bashing against branches has worn the line.

It is getting worse, this can obviously been seen in the hubs log showing how many times i keep having to restart it and how many times we are now losing connection.

How do i go about actually getting this checked?? I know the original man said it would need replacing again in a few years. which have obviously passed now.

Thanks in advance, it is getting to be very troublesome... we rely on the connection for the BT vision , and o bviously usual wi fi things too.. with 4 children it is very inconvenient and frustrating especially when they are online gaming.

thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Hi Welcome to the community forums

Have you tried the quiet line test dial 17070 option 2 you should hear no noise if you can hear noise then it needs reporting to BT faults on 151 with no mention of broadband
in the call
0 Ratings
rodleydragons
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Thank you I shall try that.  I ran through the diagnostic tools on the website (where the broadband was disconnected and i had to begin again!!)   and it said there was no issue on the line however it is very definately bad and crackling (even with other phones) So I shall give them a call.. i just end up feeling scared when they do the "if it is you you will be charged £x "... anyhow it cannot go on like this so i will try ringing.

Also I received an email that said I had agreed to continue the contract for another 12 months.. but nobody spoke to me nor had I had any message prioir so was wondering if this is unusual??. I didn't want to respond to the email as you hear of so many scams these days. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

that is unusual as BT do not do auto renewal of your contract and at end of fixed contract term you go on to a rolling monthly contract at standard rates.

if you get line noise doing quiet line test from test socket then phone 151 and get engineer visit

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
rodleydragons
Contributor
Message 7 of 10

We have had to report it as now the telephone has gone off completely.. no dial tone. People can try and ring in.. our phone shows them as a call but when we click to answer all we get is a crackle.  Ran the fault checker and it came up with there being a fault outside our home.

The internet is still on but keeps going off now and then as usual... pain in the bottom when we have BT Vision 😞

They said it will take 24 hours for someone to be in touch, here's hoping it is a little faster than that. I saw an openreach van drive past early today .. almost went out and flagged him down  🙂 

0 Ratings
rodleydragons
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Still waiting for someone to come out.. I was told engineers only worked til 6pm (by a BT customer service person online).. it is now 5:30pm so it is not looking hopeful 😞  

0 Ratings
rodleydragons
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Also now my internet speed has halved. I do hope when they fix the phone that they can fix this too... I am not sure how it all works..  

Download Speed is now 32.94

Upload is now 9.63

ping 37.88

0 Ratings
rodleydragons
Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Absolutely disgusted. I spoke to BT online chat 5 times yesterday.. each time told it would be fixed. One of them even said an engineer was there working on the problem right now (the problem is up the pole opposite my house)... must be one of those invisible ninja engineers eh .. nobody was there!!!

Now i spoke to them today and been told that the case was picked up but due to high work volume they couldn't get to us. Why did the engineer then not call and say so?? Instead we were fed a web of stupid lies. We have now had no phone line for 2 days.. and now I have been told engineers won't work weekends so we cannot have it fixed until close of business on Monday?!?!!?

We need the phone on for work , for our elderly mum who has dementia, and also for calling our son who is due to fly to sweden ... this is just seriously bad customer service.  I asked if we would be entitled to a refund or anything for the days without service and was told "that may be looked into later"...  o.O  I just want the phone on pleasssee! and the internet back to how it should be.

0 Ratings