Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 7

Problems with a non-BT product or service

Go to solution

I have just contacted BT as my down IP Profile has become 30% less than it should be over an approximately 6 month period.  This is despite the fact that my line is surprising stable with an average up time of around 14 days and the main disconnection being  BT induced profile resets.

I have had this issue three times before. The solution is 1 to 3 Openreach Engineer visits that find no fault and end up with a line reset to up the profile.

This time the Indian call centre rang me, tested the line and found no fault  (as expected). They said because of this they could not do anything and suggested I contacted second line support.

I then received  the following email 

"Problems with a non-BT product or service

Hi,

You recently contacted us regarding a non-BT product or service. We confirmed that your BT Broadband service and equipment were working ok but we were unable to help you with your product/service as it's non-BT.

We recommend that you check your user guide or contact your manufacturer regarding the product/service. Before you do that, check out these links below as they may help you further.

Happy to pay for technical support from BT?

BT has a team of technical experts. For a monthly fee they can help you with a range of problems. Go to www.bt.com/techexperts to find out more and sign up.
"

I am using a BT supplied OpenReach modem and HomeHub 4 A so other than devices connected to the HH4 all kit is BT supplied.

Can I have some (preferably Moderator) help on this please ?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Problems with a non-BT product or service

Go to solution

Hi vofsanity2,

Thanks for posting. I can look into this for you. Drop me an email with the details. You'll find the "contact us" form in the about me section of my profile. Once I have the details we'll take it from there.

Cheers

David

vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you David. The email has been sent.

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

@DavidM wrote:

Hi vofsanity2,

Thanks for posting. I can look into this for you. Drop me an email with the details. You'll find the "contact us" form in the about me section of my profile. Once I have the details we'll take it from there.

Cheers

David

I am pleased to say that thanks to moderator intervention I was contacted by Kevin who arranged for an OR Engineer visit.

As expected no fault was found and after a line reset to restore my profile to what it should be (actually slightly better) my 30% drop was corrected.

It is fairly clear that if you have FTTC and a connection to the cabinet of 1200-1400metres then the DLM is happy to reduce your line speed but reluctant (if at all)  to increase it. This means your profile decreases over time and has to have a manual reset.

The worrying development this time is that now when the helpdesk tests your line and finds line speed and profile match they assume you have  a problem with a non-BT product or service where as previously they accepted that a 30% drop in profile was a BT Fault. 

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@vofsanity2 wrote:

@DavidM wrote:

Hi vofsanity2,

Cheers

David

I am pleased to say that thanks to moderator intervention I was contacted by Kevin who arranged for an OR Engineer visit.

As expected no fault was found and after a line reset to restore my profile to what it should be (actually slightly better) my 30% drop was corrected.

It is fairly clear that if you have FTTC and a connection to the cabinet of 1200-1400metres then the DLM is happy to reduce your line speed but reluctant (if at all)  to increase it. This means your profile decreases over time and has to have a manual reset.

The worrying development this time is that now when the helpdesk tests your line and finds line speed and profile match they assume you have  a problem with a non-BT product or service where as previously they accepted that a 30% drop in profile was a BT Fault. 

As reported in another thread the reason for the statement in bold is likely to be caused by BT, unknown to me, checking my other line into my property that at the time was with another ISP.  The advice is if you have two BT lines and report a fault check and check again that  BT, OR are working on the correct line. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Is the above reply meant to be in your other thread? If so I'll move it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

@gg30340 wrote:

Is the above reply meant to be in your other thread? If so I'll move it.

No. I was just updating this thread because I believe it explains the cause of BT sending me such a strange email.

Thank you for the offer.

0 Ratings