cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
simoneddison
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Process for moving to a brand new cabinet that has been located in our village?

Hi,

Searched for similar topics and most seem to say this is not possible. However, the scenario we are faced with is as follows:

BT Openreach have installed a new cabinet in our village, in doing so, their contractors damaged the copper lines and as a result, many phones and BB have been cut off or disrupted. This was addressed a coupe of weeks ago by BT OR replacing a section of cable and most of us are now back up and running.

So we now have a new cab, with fibre routed to it and all the copper that comes into the village has also been routed via this cab (so I am told by the OR engineers)

Stick with me here.. just giving as much background as I can!

Those of us at the far end of the village only get about 4-5Mbs (3 min) on our FTTC service as we are so far away from the original cab that serves the village (Cab 3) and have been told by OR engineers that once Cab 15 is up and commissioned, if we are moved to this cab for our FTTC broadband, we should see significant speed improvements. (40Mbs has been quoted but I would be happy with 10!) I was also told that the voice line will be copper all the way from the Exchange to our premises but the broadband is carried by the fibre until it is routed over the copper for the final hop to our homes.

I had a visit from an OR engineer yesterday and he proposed that I should ask my service provider (John Lewis aka Plusnet, aka BTish) to have my line re-provisioned from Cab 15 and this should greatly improve my BB speed. Spoke to JL this AM and the upshot was that the process to do this is cost prohibitive (around £10,000) and whilst they can request a re-provisioning, it is up to the service provider (BT Wholesale or OR??) which cab the service is provisioned from. The OR engineer also told me a neighbor was doing a similar thing but their provider was Sky. I have yet to speak to them to see if they had more success.

So, does anyone know of a process to allow us to move to this new CAB? It seems a complete waste of time and money and given all the disruption caused, crazy not to use the new cab but so far, I cannot find a way to request this service. I was also told that even if you request a new line, you could not request it's BB be provisioned from Cab 15. I get it that having customers/BB Service retailers requesting Cabs would be chaos normally but when a new cab has been installed specifically to give better BB speeds (My assumption but I can see no other reason to do it) surely there must be a way to get access to it. 

Some further info: There was only ever one cab serving our village, so everyone was (and still likely is) connected to it. Those closest to the old cab are getting 20-25Mbs FTTC speeds. Now there are 2 cabs, surely there must be a plan to use it and for it to help those of us at the other end of the long copper line from cab 3, first? 

I realise it's a bit of a long post, but wanted to set the scene in the hope of getting a accurate answer!

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Process for moving to a brand new cabinet that has been located in our village?

What's your postcode?

This is likely an all in one infill cabinet provided by the local BDUK scheme.

Chances are your line will be atumatically rerouted over. This is called a live to live migration, but can take many months after the new cabinet has been stood, as it's quite a complex issue.

Can you post the results for your telephone number using this checker http://www.dslchecker.bt.com
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 13

Re: Process for moving to a brand new cabinet that has been located in our village?

The only answer we can enquire through your service provider. i.e. John Lewis. There is no o0ther way.

This is a BT Retail customer support forum.

0 Ratings
simoneddison
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number ***EDITED*** on Exchange UPTON UPON SEVERN is served by Cabinet 3

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

WBC FTTC 18x2 Provide Availability

WBC FTTC 18x2 Sim Availability

Left in Jumper

HighLowHighLow        

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Range A (Clean) 7.9 3.4 1.2 0.8 2.6 Available -- -- Yes --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 6.3 2.3 1.2 0.5 1.8 Available -- -- Yes --
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 1 -- 1 to 3.5 Available -- -- -- --
ADSL Max Up to 1 -- 0.75 to 2.5 Available -- -- -- --
WBC Fixed Rate 0.5 -- -- Available -- -- -- --
Fixed Rate 0.5 -- -- Available -- -- -- --
VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- --
ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- -- -- --

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market B Exchange.

For VDSL or G.fast Ranges A and B, the term "Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions, and the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Oct-2013; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.

Note: If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service.

Thank you for your interest.

This is the result from the BT DSL Checker website. I suspect the Cab is not yet live for fibre. It is live for copper as I spoke to an OR engineer today who was sorting some lines out and he commented that the fibre rack was not populated. 

0 Ratings
simoneddison
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Webby, Thx for your reply. result posted in previous post.

0 Ratings
simoneddison
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

Spoke to JL as I said in my initial post and they said there is no process for requesting provision from a specific cab, hence my post. I also have a BT line that is in the same cab (Cab 3 Upton-upon-Severn) so how would I go about doing this with that line?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

I would imagine in both cases there is no process to request a move and you will either be moved automatically as part of a scheduled network re-arrangement or you won't be moved at all.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Please remove your phone number from the estimate checker post. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

ISP's woll be clueless about stuff like this. You just need to wait I'm afraid. These things typically happen over a few months but takes a while as Openreach needs to arrange and agree a date with every ISP that has customers on the cabinet that need lines switched over.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
simoneddison
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

Thanks for your reply. Given ISP's need to be consulted, someone in their organisation should know about this process, so I suspect it's a matter of finding the right person. Meanwhile, I got a response from someone in OR and have a call reference number, so hopefully I can follow up and get a date for the migration.

Appreciate the responses.

Cheers,

Simon.

0 Ratings