Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Keith-Miller
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Profile and Speed Reductions

Go to solution
Hi, sorry for my first post here to be yet another one about slow Infinity speeds but I would really welcome some help and advice. I switched to Infinity from Total Broadband 3 in early November and initial tests showed my line profile for downloads was 37 Mbps with download speeds just under that figure.

After about a month the download profile and speeds dropped to around 32 Mbps which is what the online estimator forecasted when I signed-up. Over the next few weeks the figures gradually dropped further and then appeared to settle at around 26 Mbps. By the end of December the profile and speeds dropped again to between 20 – 23 Mbps and it was at this time that I decided to upgrade to Infinity 2. This was mainly to obtain the unlimited use but I did hope that it might also help return the profile and speeds to their original figures.

I was therefore surprised to find that since Infinity 2 was activated the profile is now only 17 Mbps  with download speeds of around 16 Mbps. Upload speeds have remained fairly constant throughout at between 5 - 6 Mbps

I presume there must something wrong somewhere but after trying all the recommended checks and tests I am unable to find anything. The modem is an ECI V-2FUb/I Rev.B and the homehub is an HH3 A. All speed tests have been carried out using an Ethernet wired connection. I have recycled and reset the hub but as often advised on here I have left the modem permanently on and connected.

This is the speed test result from this morning...

speedtest.jpg

Can anyone maybe offer any suggestions? Many thanks.

Keith.
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Profile and Speed Reductions

Go to solution

Turn your modem off for twenty minutes and then turn it on and try another speedtest. If your IP profile has not improved you probably have a line fault that needs an engineer visit.

--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

If rebooting the modem does not help, then it could be a modem fault or a line fault. If that is the case please contact the mods on this forum who will help you, please use this link to contact them, thank you: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

0 Ratings
Keith-Miller
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution
Thanks for your replies.

I was always reluctant to try recycling the modem but after reading the posts I switched it off and did as suggested. I also switched off the PC and the homehub. After twenty minutes I booted the PC back up and then powered-up the modem. Finally I powered-up the homehub and after a minute or two everything connected together correctly.

Sadly, I then ran a further speedtest and found the results to be more or less the same as this morning. Thanks for trying to help me though..... I do appreciate it.

I have now contacted the mods and will wait to hear from them.

Keith.

speedtest2.jpg

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Your line is identical to mine, same download + upload. Exact same IP Profile, I use to get 27Mbps stable but there is some damaged aerial cable that is damaged in my are and are waiting for Openreach to replace. Where abouts do you live?

Have you tried contacting the moderators?

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Keith-Miller
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution
Thanks for your reply but I’ve no idea if there’s any significance in having similar line statistics or not. I guess it may just be coincidental but if it helps my exchange is Spalding Market. I have already contacted the mods and am waiting to hear from them.
0 Ratings
chrcoluk
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

my guess is its crosstalk.

crosstalk is brutal on vdsl2.

You are correct that when you upgraded to 80/20 service then DLM would have been reset meaning your 17mbit sync was probably the maximum.

eg. when I first got connected I had an attainable sync of 110/36.  Very good.

Then about 2 weeks after I got activated this dropped to 90/36 (still 80/20 sync).

Then a week after that it again dropped to 73/24 (causing my actual sync to drop to 71/20).

None of the drops have been caused by DLM, simply the QLN on my line increased which is probably crosstalk from other lines.  I was the first activated in my cabinet so I started off with no crosstalk, for reference BT estimated me at 65.9 down and 20 up.

0 Ratings
Keith-Miller
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
Further to my original post I am pleased to be able to report that my problem has now been resolved. After contacting the Mods a very helpful gentleman called Craig got in touch with me and took on my case. I’m afraid I don’t know the technicalities of what went on behind the scenes except that an engineer’s visit was arranged to conduct further tests and some adjustments were made at the cabinet and exchange.

The line profile returned to around 32 Mbps but then after a couple of days it settled at 28 Mbps. It has now been steady for ten days so hopefully all is now okay again.

My sincere thanks to Moderator Craig for all his advice and assistance.

Keith.
0 Ratings