cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Message 31 of 40

Re: Profile infinity

just read what the speed option offers speed over stability do you want a potentially unstable connection that may keep dropping and causes the DLM to impose heavy interleaving to stabilise the connection or what you have now i know what i would prefer stability any day 

0 Ratings
lowei
Expert
Message 32 of 40

When I'm with a ISP that will let me pick my profile I will be able to tell you the answer.
John are you on infinity?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 40

yes and have been over two years
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 34 of 40

@lowei wrote:
Legitimise_sailing is that just a guess?
Plusnet are set to stable. Like I said in the original post I would like to know what profile I'm on

Plusnet used standard for a while until they realised their mistake. The problem lies in the translation of the BT ordering system to the Openreach request system. If you were set to standard you would never see fastpath.

--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
lowei
Expert
Message 35 of 40

So if john is right and we are all set to standard then none of us are on fastpath?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 40

Interleaving/fast path are different to the options you are asking about interleaving / fast path are available on all options and there are many infinity users who have a fast path setting on infinity as you well know
0 Ratings
Bluemoon_19
Contributor
Message 37 of 40

Just a quick note on the gaming thing. I have infinity and when doing a ping test I get about 17ms so that seems like fast path to me. When playing on my PS4 all the BF4 servers that are in Europe or east US all have full 5 bars for the ping settings. So in my opinion there is nothing wrong with the profile choice BT made.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 38 of 40

So in my opinion there is nothing wrong with the profile choice BT made.  The choice is fine for me, too.  Especially since the last firmware upgrade that changed things so I was put onto fastpath.  Even before that I would probably have chosen interleaving for the stability and reduction of packet loss.

However, some people are on interleaved and would rather have lower ping and take a tradeoff of reduced reliability.  The same sort of tradeoff we had on BE ADSL;  I chose interleaving but many did not.  So for those people there is something wrong with BT's choice.

0 Ratings
bartman1967
Aspiring Expert
Message 39 of 40

@john46 wrote:
these are the options the majority of ISPs use standard

Standard – best overall balance between speed and stability for general internet users.
Stable – prioritise stability over speed for IPTV videoconferencing, home workers and businesses transferring data and IPTV.
Speed – prioritise speed over stability for online gamers.

The last time I spoke to BT, and one admin here I had my line set to speed........

Must of changed over the last few months then.

What's slow about FTTC........DLM 😞
0 Ratings
Highlighted
lowei
Expert
Message 40 of 40

Sounds like when it suits
0 Ratings