cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Purple Flashing on home hub

After a severe lightening storm on Tuesday morning in my area (it was horrendous), I got a notification on my phone that my dog cam had lost connection timed at 6.23am the time of the lightening strike.  As I was working from home, I checked the computer stuff to ensure it was okay.  I usually shutdown my computers at nite, but also have an anti surge plug/ extension.  Only things not plugged into that was home hub and a docking station for my laptop. both were nkt working.  Home hub had a purple flashing light and the docking station wouldnt charge up.  contacted BT, told them the priblem, had an engineer booked for today Tuesday 5th between 1-6pm.  Got a message at 3.45pm, fault had been fixed.  reset the hub, still showed purple.  Got BT,  stroppy kind of woman that says it was fixed, told her no it isnt.  asked if an engineer was still coming and after a bit of toing and froing, shd said she wouldd get an engjneer out on Friday between 8 and 1pm.  explained I and there are things I have to deliver by Friday so need my broadband for work from home, she said I should contact my company and get them to get me broadband. Eventually she said she would get me a mini hub until the engineer could come out.  But dont hold out much hole of it workjng as 3g is not great so canna see 4g being any better. Goota explain this to my client tomorrow as I am a contractor, that they probly winna get their reports on Friday, which winna go down well.... why djdnt the engineer judt turn up as he was supposed to, wouldve saved a lot of hassle... not a happy bunny having to lose 3 days pay due to BT's ineptitude.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Purple Flashing on home hub

Using a domestic broadband for work purpose isn’t great, if it goes faulty you have no preferential repair terms , if you had a lightning strike , chances are the fault and therefore the repair is external to your property , so probably not a lot of point visiting your premises, if Openreach think they have sorted out the issue externally they don’t visit, they just book the fault off.

Do you have a dialtone ?, it’s possible that your line is fixed , but your router is faulty , there isn’t really anything that a Openreach can do about that , so another OR visit may well simply confirm your line OK and you need a new router , and presumably depending on your contractual status, you may or may not be entitled to a new router.

Message 3 of 9

Think the point is being missed here.  I have a service contract with BT that I pay them for a service (broadband), which they are not supplying, whether the equipment is damaged by an act of god or not, they have to provide me with that service.  The fact that they have contracted their repairs to Openreach or not, my contract is with them.  Openreach may say they have "fixed" the fault, bottom line is, as far as I am concerned I cannot use the service BT  are contractually obliged to supply broadband to the router, which they have not.  The person at the end of the line as far as I can see has no technical experience as they have to wait for Openreach to tell them what they did to fix it and read from a list of what to tell me the customer.  But as I said BT have to supply me with a service I have via a contract. End of ..

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

@smudger20 

As @iniltous  has asked, can you get dial tone on your phone? If you can, then its just a broadband issue and not a line fault.

If the home hub is still flashing purple, then its most likely been damaged by the storm and you will need to ask BT to send a replacement.

This is just a customer to customer forum.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Its not necessarily the case that you pay BT for service therefore they should provide it , it would be the case if you rented the service and the equipment required to receive it, but you may only rent the service ( not the equipment) if ( for example ) you had service from a provider , they initially provided you with a new router , you continue to use the service for a few years , not ever re contracting, paying on a rolling 30 day notice to quit basis….the router develops a fault …..who is responsible ? , the router is now your own property and it’s out of warranty ,  the ISP may, as gesture of goodwill, replace the router , they may replace the router at the cost of you agreeing to a new minimum term , or they may offer to sell you a router…..the fact you are currently unable to use the service your ISP is supplying is not necessarily your ISPs problem.

What if you purchased a third party router and had disposed of the ISP provided router , and your own supplied kit was now faulty (  and on older contracts , the ISP provider router becomes your own property not the ISP’s , after it’s initial warranty period it’s relatively new contracts where the equipment remains the property of the ISP )

I will accept, that in most cases , the ISP will look to replace the router , if it’s suspected as the cause of the issue , and perhaps in your case , you are still within the initial part of a contract where the router is either still under warranty, or where it remains the property of the ISP ) but it’s overly simplistic to state it’s my providers responsibility, it probably is, but not in every circumstance.

Openreach are responsible for the ‘line’ and the external  FTTC kit ( if that’s the service you are on ) they are not responsible for the ISP’s routers , do you expecting them to have many spare routers from the dozens of  ISPs they deal with on their vehicles …it’s unrealistic to expect them to do that.

It may be worthwhile, checking the line for telephony, and requesting your ISP arrange a new router, because at the moment it’s entirely possible you get a visit, the OR tech proves the line , shows a broadband ‘sync’ with their own equipment , and advises you to speak to your own provider about a replacement router, it’s not true that ISP delegate absolutely all repairs to OR, there some issues are not Openreach’s responsibility 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

@iniltousUnfortunately you are incorrect. As per BT:-

“As of 13 December 2019, we own all BT Broadband Hubs (Hub 4, Smart Hub, Ultrafast Smart Hub and Smart Hub 2) and TV Boxes (Z4, G4 and G5) sent out to customers,

When you replace hubs or boxes, or leave BT, please return those items to us. If the kit is not returned, you may be liable for a charge. Details of charging can be found on the Tariff Guide.

You have a total of 60 days to return your items and which includes the time taken for us to send out a jiffy bag.”.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

I did say on relatively new contracts or contract renewals  the equipment remains BT property , in which case the ‘renter’ has every right to expect faulty equipment to be repaired or replaced , the OP doesn’t indicate how long they have been a BT customer , hence my somewhat lengthy caveat 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Then you should've put it in the first paragraph not the second.😁

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

See link regarding BT Broadband Terms and Conditions.

It sets out automatic compensation, BT Equipment and it also mentions lightning strikes, see section 15(i)

post1stsep2020voiceandbroadband (bt.com)

0 Ratings