Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
BrendanHickey
Contributor
Message 1 of 32

Purple light

Go to solution
BT gone off, purple light on router, building working on street. I'm guessing they have hit the by line.
0 Ratings
31 REPLIES 31
BrendanHickey
Contributor
Message 2 of 32

Re: Purple light

Go to solution
I really wish this would get fixed quickly. I use broadband to watch TV, stream music and play games. I use smart lightd, smart CCTV and smart door sensors.. without broadband literally everything is my house is down. I just have a purple light flashing, I have checked all the connections in my house and even tried a new wire. I have no landline so can't check the dial tone. Their is building work on the street. So I assumed it was them that hit a cable or something. I reported the fault online without speaking to a human and it give an estimated fix date next week. I hope it will be faster or I'm going to be bored as hell.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 32

Go to solution

You really need to check your line with a cheap wired phone to see if you have dial-tone at the test socket.

Buy a cheap (less than £10) wired phone to run a check.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 32

Go to solution

Its also worth checking that the phone number that is announced when you dial 17070, is in fact the same number as on your phone bill, just in case you have a crossed line.

This can happen if there is cable work, and the cable pair records are wrong, and you are now connected to the wrong circuit.

0 Ratings
BrendanHickey
Contributor
Message 5 of 32

Go to solution
Thanks for your reply, I have spoken to a neighbour and they have no broadband. It's 100% the building work. This happened last year too. They keep doing it. They have built new houses and United utility was out connecting water to the new houses.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 32

Go to solution

Which exchange are you on?

0 Ratings
BrendanHickey
Contributor
Message 7 of 32

Go to solution
Oldham - post code ol8 3jl
0 Ratings
BrendanHickey
Contributor
Message 8 of 32

BT can't be bothered to reconnect me

Go to solution
On Tuesday builders cut through a cable disconnecting all my street. Open reached fixed the fault. All my neighbours where reconnect yesterday, but BT can't be bothered to reconnect me. The people from open reach or BT came to my house to check the line and confirmed it was all good. They literally just can't be bothered to reconnect it yet. Costing me data money.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 32

Re: BT can't be bothered to reconnect me

Go to solution

@BrendanHickey wrote:
On Tuesday builders cut through a cable disconnecting all my street. Open reached fixed the fault. All my neighbours where reconnect yesterday, but BT can't be bothered to reconnect me. The people from open reach or BT came to my house to check the line and confirmed it was all good. They literally just can't be bothered to reconnect it yet. Costing me data money.

Is your phone line working, and is it the correct phone number?

As requested here https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-broadband/Purple-light/m-p/1941057#M288220

0 Ratings
BrendanHickey
Contributor
Message 10 of 32

Re: BT can't be bothered to reconnect me

Go to solution
Yeah BT open reached checked it. The whole street was without broadband but now everyone is back on. But me, they just need to activate me on their end.. their is no longer any fault on the line.
0 Ratings