Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
gmhwilson
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Puzzling speed drop

Go to solution

I'm currently on an 80-20 FTTC plan and was getting great speeds until recently.  My recent speed tests on thinkbroadband for download have dropped to the ADSL speeds I used to get years ago.  I'm not sure when between April and August the issue started - see speed tests below since Nov last year.   I'm currently using an Archer VR600 as a replacement for a BTHH3 and white modem box.  The stats from the Archer seem to suggest that suggest that the line is syncing at good speeds.

clipboard_image_0.png

Stats from Archer

clipboard_image_1.png

It's only showing uptime of 1 day as I reset it yesterday to try and resolve the issue.  It was showing 40+ days yesterday prior to the reset.

The results from Availability checker are

clipboard_image_2.png

The wholesale performance check gives

and then I hit the further diagnostics I get 

The Performance Tester is disabled to support TAP3 for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider.

The Archer router is plugged into the vdsl port of a 2 port BT socket installed by BT when I switched to FTTC.  The laptop I'm using is wired into the router.  Another computer elsewhere in the house gives similar results as does my laptop over WIFI.

I still have the openreach modem and HH3, but cannot get at the connection stats as far as I know. 

I have tried the BT retail speed test, but it never gives me the results - just how to best position my hub for wifi, which is not really the issue.

Any help / suggestions much appreciated.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
gmhwilson
Beginner
Message 2 of 5

Re: Puzzling speed drop - The power of a post

Go to solution

After posting this and reading another post, I ran the BTW test again and was surprised with the results

clipboard_image_1.png

, but think broadband has confirmed it

clipboard_image_0.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Re: Puzzling speed drop

Go to solution

You really need to try btspeedtester diagnostic test again possibly with different browser and post results

the stats you posted show low download speed even at non peak time showing it is not restricted suggesting not congestion

is it possible you have a backup running

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
gmhwilson
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

Thanks for reply and suggestion

BT wholesale results this morning

clipboard_image_0.png

Looks like the spell at 8-10 meg has ended.

default browser is chrome, but tried edge this morning and got the same result from the Trouble shooter and speed test.

clipboard_image_1.png

clipboard_image_2.png

No actual results.  The results bar at the bottom isn't a link.

I switched off my backup software while doing the tests on the 26th, 27th and 28th after getting the 8-9meg results on the 24th and 25th to make sure that it wasn't causing an issue, and there was anyone else in the house.

The 60- 64 meg results I got late yesterday and this morning is much more representative of the results I was getting between November and April.  Is this still below what I should expect?

Thanks for any further help.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

No 60-64 is within your estimate and above guaranteed minimum.