cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tarbat
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 14

Question on FTTP performance testing

I've posted elsewhere about other problems, but I need to know what is "normal" when performance testing an FTTP connection. So, in these two examples what is "normal".

1. Using BT's own performance site it always returns with a fault saying "We can't see your Hub online so we're not able to run a speedtest for you at the moment".
    Is this just a quirk of FTTP, or can others with FTTP use BT's performance testing page okay?
    http://support.bt.com/fix/bbspeedtest/

2. Using the BT Wholesale site, it always returns a result showing very slow and variable performance (10Mbps - 30Mbps).
    Again, is this  just a quirk of FTTP, or can others with FTTP use BT Wholesale's performance testing page okay?
    http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
    !cid_45350732-4f79-4820-aa8a-4b95f156c771@eurprd07_prod_outlook.png

I'm just trying to eliminate things in the various problems I'm having with FTTP. All other speed testing sites seem to work okay returning valid results.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
darthmuppet
Beginner
Message 2 of 14

Re: Question on FTTP performance testing

1) i have the same issue, and in my case it is (well, i though it was, see later) because my SmartHub 2 is not connected to the ONT - I have a Sophos UTM as a firewall, and it connects to the ONT. The SH2 and the wifi disc provide only wifi. 

2) i get 100Mbit down and 50Mbit up on the BT wholesale checker. If i turn off IPS on my firewall, it goes up to about 290Mbit down.

When I connect my SH2 to the ONT, I still get the same error message though, and that surprises me. When i run the speed tester linked from the SH's admin page, I again get the same, and they now want to send an engineer. I have factory-reset my SH, same issue. I'm inclined to let them send an engineer if they can't see the hub, as that does sound a bit odd.

Engineer coming on Thursday.

0 Ratings
tarbat
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 14

@darthmuppetwrote:

Engineer coming on Thursday.

It will be interesting what the engineer says. I had Openreach out to look at mine, and couldn't find any fault. In my case the Smart Hub (Hub 6A) is connected directly to the ONT.

When you use the BT Wholesale ( http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ ) page, what do you get when you select the "Further Diagnostics" button after the speed test runs?  This is what I get on a 150/30 service:

!cid_45350732-4f79-4820-aa8a-4b95f156c771@eurprd07_prod_outlook.png

0 Ratings
darthmuppet
Beginner
Message 4 of 14

I'll report back after the visit. When the service was installed, the speed checker didn't work then either, but at the time I didn't care too much. I'm currently looking at IPv6 and i am seeing something I can't explain, so if there is something wrong, then I want it fixed to rule it out. 

I should point out that this is the only xDSL service I've ever had, as i had cable for 25 years before moving house recently.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 14

What result does this speedtest return? http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

0 Ratings
darthmuppet
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 7 of 14

That's more like it. The BT Wholesale performance test has had its fair share of issues this year.

0 Ratings
tarbat
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 14

So should BT's own performance testing site work with FTTP or not? And if it doesn’t work, as in my case, does that indicate a fault somewhere in the setup, such as a mismatch between how BT have something configured and how Openreach have something configured - if that makes sense?

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 9 of 14

It should work but all year it has been giving out incorrect results.

0 Ratings
tarbat
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 14

@pippincpwrote:

It should work but all year it has been giving out incorrect results.

But in my case it doesn’t give incorrect results, it just gives an error saying “We can't see your Hub online so we're not able to run a speedtest for you at the moment”

Is that normal?

0 Ratings