cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 22

Question on Stay Fast Guarantee

Go to solution

Hi, I just placed an order for BT Fibre 2 and in the email it's only showing my Stay Fast Guarantee at 39mbps.

My current minimum guarantee With Sky is 49mbps, So i guess my question is.. Will this be adjusted? or is it a set it in stone number that they can use against me saying that it's my minimum guarantee?

0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Re: Question on Stay Fast Guarantee

Go to solution

BT are saying that it is your minimum guaranteed speed. This will be in your contract and it will not be changed.

It won't be "used against you". It is exactly what it states. If your speed drops below that speed and BT can not get it back to the guaranteed speed with in 30 days BT will pay you £20 and you will be free to leave the contract if you want.

See link.

What is BT's Stay Fast Guarantee? | BT Help

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 22

Go to solution

What i'm saying is why is the guarantee so low? Sky currently guarantee 49mbps..

my address is easily above 39mbps, Which is why i asked the question as it seems pretty weird.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 22

Go to solution

No doubt BT are playing it safe to ensure that you will get above the minimum guaranteed speed. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 22

Go to solution

Because Sky unbundle at the exchange and install their own kit. Because of this BT are unable to give you an exact speed.  You should get at least the same speeds, if not faster, on BT once the switch has completed.

We had a similar situation when we moved home. Previous tenants were with Sky, BT gave me an estimate of 47mbps. Once the switch had completed, it sync'd at 59mbps and after a week MyBT unlocked other options to upgrade for the same price. I'm now G-Fast with a 100mbps stay fast guarantee. All within a couple of weeks and no increase in price.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 22

Go to solution

I just contacted BT online technical chat and he was adamant that i wouldn't get above 43-48 mbps and 8-9 mbps upload, I then showed him proof that it is 100% possible with my current Sky being currently 52mbps and most of the time 54-71mbps & a constant 18mbps upload.

He then didn't reply for a few minutes and i continued to show him my https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/ stats and he said that i really was strange that i was quoted at those speeds when that's my stats, I then added that i'm only 130meters from the cabinet. Not sure what is going on and why i was estimated at such slow speeds but all i get from BT is "Oh it might go higher", Well i'm not looking for a might. 

Has anyone else had these issues? Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 22

Go to solution

It's because of LLU. BT can't give an accurate speed until their kit is running on the line 

Message 8 of 22

Go to solution

Your minimum guaranteed speed is the minimum you can expect before BT will do anything to improve it. It is not necessarily the speed you will get which will almost certainly be well above that speed.

If you are presently with Sky how did you get the BT wholesale estimate for your speeds?

If you used the post code checker this is the least reliable and the address checker will be slightly more accurate but is still only a rough estimate.

The most accurate is by using a BT telephone number connected to the line you are testing.

Until that is done your speed is as the name applies, an estimate. It will not be possible for BT to give you an accurate reading until such times as your line is connected.

If you find that it is a lot less than you expected you can cancel within 14 days of your line going live.

Message 9 of 22

Go to solution

I did the address DSL checker, They where adamant on the phone that i should not get fibre 2 as fibre 1 will be the fastest speeds i can get. Currently getting faster than that with my current ISP & the BT Fibre 2 package will be an addition to my other isp.

I was getting 60-70mbps from my other isp so i was just puzzled how they made the estimate of my speed being 43-48mbps. And for the 39mbps stay fast that's kind of worrying as i'm currently getting 49mbps stay fast with my other isp.

Hopefully i get FTTP soon, having terrible internet sucks. The only reason i'm getting this second ISP is so i can use my internet without other people in my house downloading and watching 4k content non stop lol.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 22

Go to solution

Did you not read message 8?

There is no hard data, the speed is just an estimate. Estimated speeds are always conservative so that the customer is not disappointed with reality.

0 Ratings