Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mixer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Quick queston

Go to solution

What is the most accurate way to measure your connection speed, i tried numrous speed tests and they all report differently.

I've found that watching the Ethernet tab in Task Manager shows the best results.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Quick queston

Go to solution

Hi @Mixer and welcome.

We would always recommend using the BT Wholesale Tester on an ethernet connection.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Mixer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Hi, thanks David.

BT WholeSale connection tester isnt a good test in my opinion, it uses flash, also the server is always overwhelmed too, I had FTTP 321Mbps/32Mbps - 6ms on a 100 mile away server, BT WS connection test it was always showing a wrong result "125Mbps/23Mbps - 27ms ping" I wouldn't recommend it at all, its far from accurate.

Just saying, thanks  🙂

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks for getting back @Mixer.

The first part of the test does require flash. Have you tried clicking the further diagnostics button?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Venomx
Expert
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution
I use speedtest.net, and testmy.net

they always give a higher speed then bt wholesale.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

As @DavidM has stated. The BTWholesale further diagnostics one is the most reliable, it also gets faults fixed quicker as it is the only one accepted.

0 Ratings
Mixer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Just out of curiosity, if you're set to Infinity 2 "up to 76Mbps" And you're close to the cabinet, very good range, do they allow enough head room for the full 76Mbps?

As i'm FTTP i can't show line statistics, Up to "300/30" Which we had (321Mbps/32Mbps <- Speed tests and converted Steam/Origin Rates confirmed this) You'd of thought been FTTP Infinity 2 you'd be on full 76Mbps Download i'm getting around 74Mbps/19.5Mbps the through-put on my Ethernet adapter shows 77Mbps. For three of us I could see Infinity 4 wasn't needed, so got it switched to a Infinity 2 profile.

Are you getting full 76Mbps/19Mbps when you're in the right ranges on vDSL2?

Not sure if i've said anything wrong about Cabinets as we came from ADSL-1, just what i've read in forums.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dY0Lkoo2lTA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution
An 80mbps sync would give an IP profile of 78.xx mbps, which should be enough to just clip 76mpbs on a speedtest.

FTTP is different in that it doesn't have sync speeds. The 300mbps actually "connects" at 330mbps, which is why often 320mbps is seen on a speed test.

The 200mbps "connects" at 220, but I think the 76mpbs "connects" at 80.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Mixer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

I have the head room and still can't get the rated "up to 76Mbps" Makes no sense or the speed tests aren't accurate, the through-put adapter reads 77Mbps. I will delete a large game of a PC and redownload it and report back with the converted configures just to make sure tomorrow. 

Cheers.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

By doing that you are not measuring the speed being supplied to you by BT Retail. The only way to find that out is to run the Further Diagnostics on BTWholesale's site.

By downloading a game from steam you are using servers and routers that BT have no control over.