cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Random Link Down Disconnections

We have been getting several broadband outages per day for months.  Several BT engineers have tried things but seem unable to fix.  The router logs say we are getting several "Link Down" errors per day.  (e.g.  11 Feb. DSL Link Down: duration was 11325 seconds).  We get more of these errors between 8 and 10 am, but its throughout the day.  There is not much noise on the line.  Any ideas?  See Graphs..

daveszead_0-1613123891718.png

daveszead_1-1613123964321.png

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Random Link Down Disconnections

Report a noisy line. Any noise will cause problems, there should be none. Not much is an issue.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

I'm an audio engineer. I should probably have said that the noise is barely audible using a analogue handset. You would expect some noise right? But down at -50dB? No crackles.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

We've had several engineer visits over the last few months and they will have tested the noise on the line during the visit.  The most recent visit was on the 5th Feb.  They found some corroded connections at the top of the pole near our house.  Thats why the outages are less on that day.  But they still continue.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

@daveszeadwrote:
I'm an audio engineer. I should probably have said that the noise is barely audible using a analogue handset. You would expect some noise right? But down at -50dB? No crackles.

I would expect silence. Then again I'm not an audio engineer.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Hi @daveszead I'm sorry the drops on your connection haven't been fixed on the previous visits. I'll send you a private message so you can reach the community moderation team and we'll be happy to get this looked into. 

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Hi. Thanks for the help. I responded to your private message on the 12th but got no response. Did you get the information ? Thanks
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

@daveszeadwrote:
Hi. Thanks for the help. I responded to your private message on the 12th but got no response. Did you get the information ? Thanks

That is only one working day.  Depending on how busy the mods are it can take from 3 to 5 working days,

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

After about two years of intermittent problems, the fault appears to have been fixed.  Cause seems to have been a cable from the pole into our house.  Low resistance to earth.  No outages in two weeks since a switch to the alternate pair.  We have seen this come good before,  for a few weeks but not this solid.  We will continue to monitor, but so far it looks perfect.

It makes me wonder why none of the 10 or so previous engineer visits found this fault.  

0 Ratings