Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Barry5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Random throughput issues

Hi Guys,

I have been having throughput issues on my Broadband for most of June 2018 and I have logged two calls with BT; The first call 2 line engineers (some job booking error!) came out tested the line, both concluded it was ok.  Next Engineer was a Broadband engineer (really good guy called Shaun).  He immediately identified ancient master socket (screw sockets) and then some line resistance and they replaced/crimped connector on the poles (I also believe he raised an internal job for other connectors on another pole to be fixed (I can’t track when this might/will happen).  Anyway, he increased the downstream bandwidth from 29M to 32M, but I noticed latency went up from high teens to 24ms on speed test ping.  Over this weekend downstream speeds seem to have retrained at 38M and ping is back to high teens again.  So evidently whatever he did has helped, but throughout all this my "brownout" problem exists.  

I am waiting on a new hub5 as Broadband engineer noticed the blue light sometimes flickers to another colour and when running MAX speed tests, we could hear like a transformer sound.  So, you might say wait for the new hub and try again (and I will do that when it arrives, but I don’t think this is my issues).  I don’t normally use the BT hub, I have a Cisco router and it also suffers from these "brownouts", but for the moment I’ll keep the homehub5 attached as every time I call someone wants to do line checks and I have to rewire my hall!

Whenever we notice the slowdown I run the OOKLA speed tester from my phone to “see” what’s going on and then I try to use the BT wholesale speed checker from a wired connection to record the issue on your servers (you should see my efforts recorded).  Sometime this is not possible as there is simply not enough bandwidth to pull down the Web page.

I had thought it was congestion related as it hit about 3:30 most days when perhaps children got home from school, but more frequently it randomly appears during the day and impacts being able to work from home significanlty.  I had another brownout today (16th July 2018 at around 10:15) and after several attempts have got this result.

BBand-speed.pngBBand-cab.png

Chiselborough Cabinet 3

Could you check to see if there are any issues that might be causing this please?

Regards

Barry

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Random throughput issues

can you post stats from your hh5 - troubleshooting then helpdesk

check for any line noise  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

can you run btspeedtester diagnostic test using IE/Edge and with wired conenction and repost result please

the btspeedtester only retains the last test run

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Barry5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Hi imjolly,

Please see the "helpdesk" output and connection report.  I will run the speedtester again when i get the issue and post it, but currently it's experiencing the issue!!!  I have just setup a wired-windows PC with explorer on it, so I am ready when it happens again.

BBand-conn.pngBBand-helpdesk.png

0 Ratings
Barry5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Also.  Nothing heard on the quiet line test (but at the moment it's not giving me the issue like I said).  I'll try it again when i get the next issue.  I wanted to ask was the last speedcheck result not uploaded?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

your btspeedtester results was uploaded but looking for new one using IE/Edge with a wired conenction  other browsers have been giving some odd results

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Barry5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Hi again,

I was away a few days for work so could not monitor the broadband.  I had an issues agin this morning around 10:15.  I noticed breaking up on a conference call.  So I used the speed tester from a dedicated, wired windows PC (with microsoft edge).

Here are my results

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

if download still bad can you check quiet line test please

0 Ratings
Barry5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

I had a drop out the other night and did not capture.  I did the quiet line test then and it was all silent 

0 Ratings
Barry5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 15

...and the new hub5 arrived (type B).  Thats been enabled for the last two days also. So does not look like it was the hub!

0 Ratings
Barry5
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

In the last few days my problem is back.

Connected to BT wholeslae speed checker using dedicated wired windows PC with explorer -all other devices disconnected and wireless turned off, but the same can be observed using OOKLA speedcheck from any other device.

Capture1.JPG

0 Ratings