cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Rant

Hi all.

For the past three years, my internet has always been faulty, from being intermittent, to just having terrible quality connections while reporting it's synced at 50mbps (it's now stuck at 30mbps), through the years I've had hundreds of engineers come, and go. Some engineers say it's a faulty cabinet, some say it's a faulty wall socket, and all were wrong. After fifteen minutes of investigation recently, I came to the conclusion that my line is quite faulty. Not only is it copper (but BT reports it as Fibre), but even poking it with a stick (at the part that a tree is completely wrapped around it in the corner of my household) causes it to instantly cut out indoors, had an engineer come out, told them what I thought the issue was, they said my line would be replaced, a week later I had a phone call to say the trees that were grown onto the line were my fault, when I've been paying for 50mbps (£30 a month), for over two years, the engineers should've noticed this, I recently went on a ladder with a chainsaw to cut the trees down, and did successfully, messaged BT on their live chat, no response, tried their SMS, no response! Sorry for ranting, but to be frank, BT is a pisstake. It's not my fault, in reality it's their line. Plus, it's a danger hazard as the line is nearly touching the ground where it was so stretched out by the tree pulling it down over the years, once I had cleared the tree and safely removed it from the line, the line instantly bounced down to the top of my car, and sat about 5 feet above it (bare in mind, I live on a main road.), so I had to apply a DIY fix recently and use a long piece of string to pull the stretched line over to the normal line (which is also damaged due to having the same problem as the other.), and I'm still paying £30 mind you, for intermittent and slow internet. Good one, BT! 

TL;DR: BT and Openreach have stupid engineers who cannot see a long tree branch pulling down a pure black line, and instead say "The cabinet providing you with a connection has corrosion"  (spoiler, it didn't)

Cheers, voice your opinions if needed.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Rant

Does you phone work?  If so can you dial 17970 option 2 the line should be silent and best done  with corded phone

who was/is the owner of the tree?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 13

@kimdrdolittle wrote:

However, the SNR margin is okay at the moment. (11.9 upload, 15 download)

That's horrendous, not okay. It should be at least 6 if not 3.

It won't improve until Openreach replace the faulty drop wire which is causing the noise. Report it as a noisy line fault rather than broadband.

Message 4 of 13

They are talking nonsense, you have a faulty noisy line. Don't mention anything else when you report the line as noisy, certainly don't mention trees.

Message 5 of 13

Just report the noisy line.

Message 6 of 13

Who's site?  Call faults 0800 800151

Message 7 of 13

They've arranged an engineer to come and investigate my line. Yay, yet another let down.

Message 8 of 13

Why is it a let down? You have an engineer visit, what else were you expecting?

Message 9 of 13

You have said that you have now cut the trees back. Until the engineer visits you have no idea of what the outcome will be. If the trees are still problematic, then yes, they will need to be cut back as replacing the cable without doing so would be pointless.

Message 10 of 13

Which I'm sure the engineer will observe and rectify.