cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Re: BT 900mb only 50 upload

Morning,

I too have recently had FTTP installed on the BT900MB Package. It was installed on Friday.

When I test the speed I am getting nowhere near that speed though. It barely passes 400MB.

Any idea why this is? Obviously it's still pretty fast but don't want to pay for the top package if I'm not going to get the speeds.

Thanks. 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

That wasn't my thread subject by the way. This was originally a reply to that question and a mod created this as a separate thread.

My speed this morning was 370 DL and 110 UL.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 11

Wired or wireless. If wireless about right.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 11

Wireless. Just did another test and it was 196MB. Surely it should be faster than that?? 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 11

@mjglory not necessary... 

With wireless, you will need to take into account many more factors then many people imagine in first...

Do You live at rural (probably not, when you have available FF900 🙂 area? there is chance, as your Wifi will be performing better, due non existence others...

At city situation, you are always going to suffer from many interference, you even can't imagine at all..

If you have Android phone, check "Wifi Scanner (open source) app, and look what's going on around You... Plus, look which channel seems to be less congested and change your settings inside BT SH2 accordingly (no, "smart" wifi mode isn't smart at all!).

Another factor will be type of building and size of it, material of walls etc etc etc..

In general, 200-300 Mbps over Wifi is fine, as long it's in City area, with many interference, you barely will see anything over it.

Third party aftermarket WiFi router, which will allows you go to other part of the WiFi bands (BT SH2 is capable essentially only of channels 36,42,48 on 5GHz - which certainly is not perfect), will see easily speeds up to 500-650 Mbps download, but You will need to play with it little and find best possible channel, position for router, etc etc. 

Over wired connection, you will be ok with speeds like700-900 Mbps, and will see drops easily over peak time.

Don't forget, speed guarantee 450 Mbps down, and 10 (!!!) Mbps uplink, and this realistically guarantee only SYNC speed, not internet speed. E.g. speed between your hub and exchange (yeah, BT doesn't forget some smal prints here)

Message 6 of 11

Thanks for the help. I can't find that app you mentioned, has it changed name?

I don't live in a rural area and I'm right next to the hub when I am testing the speed.

Changing channels etc may be a bit over my head 😔

I'll need to consider whether it's worth the extra expense to keep this FTTP 🤔 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 11

@mjglory I using this android app to scan WiFi and see what's going on:

Screenshot_2021-05-16-16-08-45-23.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 11

Screenshot_2021-05-16-16-10-39-59~2.jpg

Screenshot_2021-05-16-16-10-47-73~2.jpg

Screenshot_2021-05-16-16-10-51-73~2.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 11

Screenshot_2021-05-16-16-14-33-81.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 11

@mjglory to give You some insight of MY situation on that screenshots:

Screenshot 1:

2.4 GHZ Wifi, front of my router...

Here, not such much You can gets, because 2.4 GHz is usually really crowded, and you getting in general only 3 channels, which not overlap 1,6,11 there...

(My WiFi router here is quite aggressive, and will need to little bit scale down. whilst using 40 Mhz band wight, and it's not really necessary like that, whilst here it's not important speed for me, due on 2.4 GHz in general I have only old/legacy devices like WiFi bulbs, WiFi led strips, heaters, etc... It's not important speed for them...

You might notice something like "192 Mbps" on that screenshot. It's NOT speed which I getting there, it's THEORETICAL maximum through trout speed capable. Real speed here will be up to 90/80 Mbps down/up. UP TO...

screenshot 2:

Here things are more interesting... It's so called 5 GHz "A" band, where, most of broadband routers using channels 36.42 and 48 (that bunch of chaos on the left of it). This will be probably also your situation as you compete with many many other Wifi routers over channels 36-48, lower part of band "A".

But, You can easily see, as my own WiFi router is alone on higher part of the band. unfortunately BT SH2 is NOT capable to go there, and that's what I using as my advantage.

While on lower part of band "A" is really big congestion (you might tell that even You don't have too much knowledge, just from that screenshot), no one is on channels 52 and higher... apart me... Here I am getting up to 450 Mbps download speed over wifi, in better moments up to 550 Mbps. Channel is for purpose set as 80 Mhz (combination of 4 single channels), to hold speed. 

You might see here "866 Mbps". Again, it's maximum theoretical speed of the link due capability of my mobile to handle max 80 Mhz bandwight.

Screenshot 3:

This is 5 GHz band "B", and You don't find it on BT SH2 at all. In the fact, you don't find it on majority of WiFi routers, whilst most of them are "two band (e.g. 2.4 Ghz + 5 Ghz)" only.

My router is "tri band" (e.g. 2.4 Ghz + 5 Ghz + 5 Ghz, with coverage of band A and band B).

As you can easily see, again here is 866 Mhz theoretical maximum through trout speed, and no one, whatsoever around me. This giving me total advantage. Speed test, which you see above is made on this, and You might see nice 610/116 Mbps down/up OVER THE WIFI...

My hard wired computer at same moment gets 820/119 Mbps down/up. It will always benefit from better speed as any of WiFi devices, just because it's hard wired.

Of course, if you will have 25+ devices over all 3 wifi bands like myself, plus some hard wired devices, they will compete over.

Means, if at same moment will downloading big data files 3 of them, your speed will go rapidly down...

Of course, if You have Full Fibre 900 and maximum speed 900/110 Mbps, it's better off, when more devices will try to use it at same time, then for example Full Fibre 100 and 150/30 Mbps.

If you planning to use ONLY Wifi connected devices, it's almost certainly overkill to have Full Fibre 900, especially, if not more then 3-4 devices will be really heavy active at once.

For Wifi only, especially with BT SH2 it's by my opinion more value for money Full fibre 300 with max speed 300/49 Mbps, for most of the situation. But this will depends what you gets as offer, and if you willing to invest to infrastructure (e.g. better WiFi router) and, most importantly, if You will be capable to take this advantage of it.

Disclaimer: this is, what working for me, at my specific scenario (approx 50 other Broadband Routers at building, plus approx 10-11 directly affecting my BT SH 2, whilst I opt to use aftermarket "tri band" router instead. It might not working in same advantage for yourself.