cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 27

Re: BT HUB keeps disconnecting

I’m about to pick up on a dialog with BT over a couple of Broadband problems. These problems show themselves as:

• The line appears to go down – i.e. if using the PC (Microsoft Edge), a tab opens from the hub telling me it’s gone down. A trip into the next room usually shows me that the hub has come back up or is in the process of restarting. I’m then back on the air until the next time.

• Lots of buffering while watching iPlayer. Sometimes it recovers, and sometimes it doesn’t and you have to drop back a level or two and then resume watching. The BBC website suggests checking broadband speed - done - download typically 4.0 to 4.4, upload typically 0.8. BBC also suggests lowering the picture quality to SD – done that too. It also suggests it might help to disconnect any devices not actively being used.

A few nights ago we noticed that if, while watching iPlayer, one or both of us started browsing on our phones it seemed to precipitate iPlayer buffering. Last night as soon as we experienced buffering we switched off Wi-Fi on our phones, and this did seem to have a beneficial effect. Not ideal though, as the mobile signal here isn’t great, and there's the risk of incurring charges for using mobile data.

I opened a ticket with BT some weeks ago, and they did some preliminary checks before reporting that ‘everything should be ok now’. It wasn’t, and further dialog with them resulted in them sending me a replacement hub. I connected it a couple of days ago, and I’m still getting buffering (with phones on), and although the hub has fallen over at least once since, it does seem more stable, though it’s too soon to say it’s resolved the disconnection problem.

In an effort to try to pinpoint the problem from my end I set up a Windows batch job to ‘ping’ www.bt.com every 15 seconds and write the output to a file. Later examination showed many instances of data loss – 25%-100% - plus various other regular failures of connectivity. This was with the old hub, but I’m still getting a degree of packet loss with the new one.

The setup we have in the house is:

Wireless– 2 x phones, 1 x HP printer, 1 x tablet

Wired (via Cisco netplugs) 1 x Humax satellite recorder, Panasonic TV, desktop PC.

Questions are:

1. Is it reasonable for the hub to reboot once or more every day? If so, why?
  2. Should it be necessary to turn phones/tablets off to be able to just watch a film even if those devices are not actively in use?
  3. What interaction might take place between phones/tablets when they are powered on, wifi-enabled, but not in active use? I guess there may be the occasional app update but not much else.

Getting extremely browned off with this, so any clues please?

Thanks.

26 REPLIES 26
Message 2 of 27

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Message 3 of 27

Thanks, and no, there's no noise.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 27

@pidgeonpost wrote:
Thanks, and no, there's no noise.

Do the lights on the BT home hub change colour when you get the disconnections?

What does your master phone socket look like?

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegKeith_Beddoe_1-1577035100602.jpeg

Message 5 of 27

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

have you turned of smart setup  

Turn Off smart setup

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 27

Number 7 - Smart socket 5C

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 27

@pidgeonpost wrote:

Number 7 - Smart socket 5C

That master socket is known to give problems, and is most likely the cause of the problem

As mentioned https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/2019-Master-Socket-kit-loose/m-p/1985566#M6775

You need to connect things up as shown below, and see if you still get disconnections. Leave it like that for a few days.

NTE 5C Test socket checkNTE 5C Test socket checkNTE 5C Test socket check

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 27

Thanks - Smart Setup was ON - still is. I guess it's the default setting. Are you suggesting I should turn it off then?

I've run the broadbandchecker and pasted the output into a Word doc but seems no option to attach it to this message.

Duty calls - back later, but thanks all.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 27

Re: BT HUB keeps disconnzecting

Yes turn off smart setup. It can cause problems with devices connecting

to post image use the camera icon

how to upload photo.PNG

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 27

Re: BT HUB keeps disconnzecting

@imjolly  A Word doc isn't a photo.

0 Ratings