cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
martdue
Beginner
Message 1 of 32

Re: BT Infinity 1 Broadband being throttled in evenings

I have terrible line speeds throughout the day (5-15Mbps) and after midnight, the very second after midnight, it gets back to 50Mbps.
The only valid explanation is throttling, unless the whole block turns off their BT Hubs exactly at midnight.

BT support is been completely useless, running their useless diagnostics every time I call them and doing nothing to actually fix the issue.

0 Ratings
31 REPLIES 31
adly
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 32

@martdue I’m no fan of BT and completely agree the customer service is abysmal to the point of not only being useless, but actually are the cause of many issues when they get involved. However, there are a number of things beside throttling that can cause daytime slowness; congestion being the main one.

This could be a BT Wholesale issue or even an Openreach issue, and while they all are BT plc the retail side can’t push the others to resolve the issue any more than other ISPs as it would be anti-competitive. That said some ISPs can help with such issues but BT isn’t geared up to provide such customer service (indeed they barely provide any customer service).
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 32

@adly I can guarantee the Openreach backbone will never suffer congestion in your lifetime, it's not called Collossus for nothining.

Congestion is always down to BTWholesale.

0 Ratings
martdue
Beginner
Message 4 of 32

@adly, it is quite unlikely that congestion ends exactly at midnight for a few days in a row, unless the whole block is conspiring against me.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 32

Hi @martdue,

I've moved your post to your own thread. If you are seeing a slow down during the day, it would likely be caused by congestion at your exchange. In order to try and help trace the slow down, please can you run the BT Speed test using the link http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

You'll need to run that test using a wired connection. Once the first test completes, please run the "Further Diagnostics" and post back the results.

What exchange are you connected to and I'll check for any known issues?

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
martdue
Beginner
Message 6 of 32

@PaddyB, to be frank I think that instead of looking for excuses you and your colleagues should work to fix the issue. There is not real world congestion scenario in which congestion drops instantly and broadband speed jumps from 5-10Mbps to 51Mbps in one second, unless people are willingly saturating the network with automated scripts. Further the broadband remains at the same reduced speed for hours (eg 5Mbps for 3 hours, or 10Mbps for 2hours), which (again!) is not compatible with any real world congestion scenario, as I would expect this speed to vary between and within tests.

I’d be willing to upgrade to Infinity2 if you could guarantee it is not throttled as Infinity1 clearly is.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 7 of 32

@martdue wrote:
@PaddyB, to be frank I think that instead of looking for excuses you and your colleagues should work to fix the issue. There is not real world congestion scenario in which congestion drops instantly and broadband speed jumps from 5-10Mbps to 51Mbps in one second, unless people are willingly saturating the network with automated scripts. Further the broadband remains at the same reduced speed for hours (eg 5Mbps for 3 hours, or 10Mbps for 2hours), which (again!) is not compatible with any real world congestion scenario, as I would expect this speed to vary between and within tests.

I’d be willing to upgrade to Infinity2 if you could guarantee it is not throttled as Infinity1 clearly is.

If you don't want this resolved then don't do anything. If you do want it resolved than run the speed test and the following Further Diagnostics.

The mods are not here to look for or offer excuses and have an excellent reputation for solving problems, the next step is clearly up to you.

adly
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 32

Not sure of the exact issue but there appears to be an issue with the Further Diagnostics with the tester, so that may not even be possible.
0 Ratings
martdue
Beginner
Message 9 of 32

I did all of that, I’ve been waiting for a month for your colleagues (support chat, support call center, complaints department and “complex fault team”) to fix this issue and I’ve also involved the ombudsman. I’ve run your tests a billion times and replaced cables and BT Hubs (mind the ‘s’) and filters and even NICs, I had to open 6-7 tickets because half of them were “resolved” by call center operators before anybody did any proper diagnostic on the line (do you have metrics on the number of faults resolved by agents?).

I’m not sure what the next step is supposed to be.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 32

this is a community forum where customers try and help customers with their problems and the ONLY BT employees on the forum are the forum mods.  the mods have offered to hellp you but requested you to post information first.. if you want their help to solve your problem then post the info  they will take personal responsibility until fixed

up to you if you want help or not

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.