cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 19

Re: BT Routing not updated - Im about to have a breakdown!

@PaddyB 

I'm trying to help a friend with a similar issue to the one you've supported with in this post.  

My friend is a customer of TalkTalk (sadly) and is receiving 3Mbps broadband.  I've tried to switch him to another supplier however a lot refuse to take him and others believe he has a ADSL connection so the max speed is 7Mbps and he can't benefit from better deals.  He can't also use catchup etc.  

Checked his neighbours and they all have the option of Fibre and show an average reported connection of between 40 and 60Mbps.  This info being from the Openreach database which is passed onto suppliers.  

I've spoken with Openreach who kindly ran some checks.  They confirmed he is connected to the same cabinet as his neighbours and the cabinet and line if FTTC compatible and they can see it can handle fibre speeds of up to 60Mbps.  However they can't and won't update the database which suppliers use, even though they can see the issue.  They have advised we need to ask TalkTalk to contact Openreach and ask them to update the database. 

He is not tech savvy and called up for help.  The colleague he spoke to advised "To get faster speeds we need to renew your contract and move you onto a new tariff".  They have moved him onto a new ADSL contract with a new speed of 7Mbps for £28.00!  He's basically been ripped off and instead of helping they've taken advantage.  He does have 20 days to cancel the upgrade.

I've spoken with TalkTalk who cannot grasp the issue.  They ran a line test to tell me he is receiving 6Mbps broadband but this is above the minimum of 3Mbps so can't help.  We've even escalated to the CEO of TalkTalk who's team again refused to help and refused to contact Openreach with the reasoning "We just don't want to sell him Fibre he will just have to cope with ADSL".  

He would be more than happy to switch to BT if you can offer any support in updating the database so he can complete the switch to a FTTC Fibre connection.  I have all the details if you could drop me a DM to discuss?

Thanks in advance 

Andy 

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19

I'veoved your post to start a new thread as the thread you posted on is over a year old and marked as solved.

I'm afraid there is nothing BT can do until you become a customer. Talk Talk need to raise an ORDI request with Openreach to update their records.

Message 3 of 19

try entering your friends address as phone number will not work and this should show what is available to his address

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 19

Hi @imjolly 

Thanks for the advice, I've done as suggested and this is what it comes back with;

There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line

However Openreach have confirmed it is a BT line, they can see the line and it's just on the Database incorrectly. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 19

Hi @licquorice 

Thanks for the reply.  I've read other posts in which the mods have supported with this to allow a customer to switch into BT as a Fibre customer so was hoping they could offer us the same level of support so I can help him switch.

Sadly TalkTalk are refusing to contact Openreach and have advised that if Openreach believe the database is incorrect they should update the records.  TalkTalk just keep running a speed test and saying it's above the minimum speed which is 3Mbps.  

They've basically got him trapped and are refusing to help.  Really frustrating and upsetting that a company are so bad.  Bit stuck if the BT guys can't help as TalkTalk have refused.  

Next step would be the ombudsman after 8 weeks or a final response.  But this would mean switching him back to his older contract which is £50 per month until it's sorted.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 19

@andypeek1983 

The only other option would be to totally cancel your service with TT and then once its all ceased, apply for service with BT Retail, as a new customer.

The problem is, you would lose both phone and broadband for possibly two weeks or more.

BT cannot help you while you are a TT customer. But I suppose you could always place an order for an additional line from BT, then cancel your TT service once its active.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 19

Hi @Keith_Beddoe 

Thanks for the reply.  The chaps in his 70's and had his landline number all his adult life, I doubt he will be willing to loose the number.  

BT do offer a switch (one of the few) but it is for an ADSL deal and not fibre, assume this is because of the database error showing the line is only ADSL compatible.

Still shocked that Openreach can see the issue as they told me what it is, but then won't update the system so he can switch.  Think the Ombudsman might be the only route to resolve as it seems Openreach and TT don't want to help and seem happy to leave him stuck on ADSL.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 19

@andypeek1983 wrote:

Hi @imjolly 

Thanks for the advice, I've done as suggested and this is what it comes back with;

There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line

However Openreach have confirmed it is a BT line, they can see the line and it's just on the Database incorrectly. 

As I said in my post use the address as your phone number will not work - which you have confirmed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 19

@andypeek1983 wrote:

Hi @imjolly 

Its not a BT line, its just an Openreach pair of wires rented by TalkTalk.

Use the address checker option which needs the address and the postcode. If anything other than ADSL is available, it will show it.

Its the cabinet number and exchange name which is important.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 19

ABBCC5F4-D6E5-47E1-9298-5F498E79710C.jpeg

Hi

Sorry didn’t see the address checker.  Pic attached of what it shows. 

Had to chop off a lot of the info as said the file was to large.  Hope these are the bits you need.

Thanks again

0 Ratings