cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Re: BT home hub 5 wifi keeps dropping

I had the common problem of HH5 dropping in and out intermittently last October for weeks. One new HH5, new master socket, three BT engineer visits to tell me my home wiring was fine, the last engineer luckily arrived whilst it was playing up and said he identified a fault at the green box, which is quite close to my house. The problem then went away until two weeks ago when I got the same problem.  At times it can be unusable for two or more hours, dropping in and out every 2 to 5 minutes, and then it will work fine for hours.

The times aren't consistent, nor the days of week, sometimes unusable from 11 to 2, sometimes 3 to 5.

Does anyone have any idea why the problem should arise at different times and then disappear until the next day?

I'm not a techie, but is there any possibility this is affected by what other users in the vicinity are doing at a particular time? ie is it a load issue? 

I haven't raised this with BT as I dread all the **bleep** that will inevitably follow, resetting hubs, line tests that show everything is fine (which of course it will be if I'm actually communicating with BT at that point in time - what part of intermittent problem do you not understand?), replacement hub eventually, reluctant agreement to engineer visit, which is most likely to pick up nothing, and so on.

I'm very reluctant to pay out for a Smart hub to get a service that I am already paying a lot for and ot getting all the time.

Very tempted to just say get stuffed to BT and switch to PlusNet and see if their router actually works.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Message 2 of 7

Hi @dhpaul

Thanks for your post and welcome back!

Sorry for the connection problems you're having with your broadband.  Have a look at this link for help diagnosing the issue: My broadband keeps having connection problems

Post back and let me know how you get on with this.

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Until BT are prepared to acknowledge that their home hub is a steaming pile of you-know-what, you won't get anywhere. They make it impossible to upgrade firmware and provide no support should you choose to use your own (superior) equipment.

I was with Sky for several years and never had an issue, not one. BT have lived down to their **bleep** Terrible tag, and I for one will be leaving the moment my contract has expired.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

@Clive_St_Helmet wrote:

Until BT are prepared to acknowledge that their home hub is a steaming pile of you-know-what, you won't get anywhere. They make it impossible to upgrade firmware and provide no support should you choose to use your own (superior) equipment.

I was with Sky for several years and never had an issue, not one. BT have lived down to their **bleep** Terrible tag, and I for one will be leaving the moment my contract has expired.

I assume you are posting about a hub 6 as the hub 5 has very few  problems firmware is pushed to hubs automatically as they are with most of the big ISP's

you can use any router you wish with BT they just do not  offer technical support if you have a problem with the router 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Hi Robbie

Thanks for the reply.  I have been through all the obvious steps several times, both last year amd in the last two weeks. Today for example I have been unable to use broadband for more than a few minutes at a time since 7 this morning. At 8 tonight it started getting better hence me replying now while it has held up for over an hour.

I just don't understand why it suddenly stops being unusable, until the next time.  There surely has to be a reason.

I am convinced it is a line fault not just broadband, as the phone line will sometimes display no line on the phone display , and we get calls incoming or outgoing that disconnect also when the hub istarts flashing, not always but often.

Thanks

Paul

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 7

Hi @dhpaul,

Thanks for getting back. If the line is dropping calls you need to report this as a line fault on 151. Can you try that and let me know how you get on?

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Understand your frustration with BT.  It may indeed be the router WiFi that's stuffed.  However before you lose your hair in frustration seeking support, consider and rule out the possibility of radio interference from a source possibly close to the router.  Maybe a fridge motor is arcing a bit, a duff 3 pin mains plug (dirty contacts),  central heating thermostat sparking away rather than switching cleanly......  If such was the cause, then it could easily be intermittant and devastating to WiFi.    Can you find a way to move the HH a few m from its current position when it is "failing" and see if it suddenly seems better?  Just a thought and it may save you the hassle of replacing a potentially servicable BT router with another ISP's servicable router which then also "fails".  Another source of interference is of course your neighbours' WiFi. You can get free software which displays the channel usage on your phone/PC (with WiFi) and this may indicate a need to re-tune your router to a different channel. 

0 Ratings