cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anyanca
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Re: Broadband connection keeps dropping!

I am now having this problem! My connection is constantly dropping out and my phone intermittently has crackles and noise so loud I can't hear the person at the other end! Then all of a sudden the line is fine all is well then bang! Back to the drop outs and noise! I would accept perhaps that my phone line may be bad wiring ( though I don't believe it is) but the fact that my broadband connection drops at the same time and has been constantly slower for around 6 weeks now!

I called bt helpline and they ran a test and told me there was no fault and kept pushing me to accept an engineer call out! I use my own router and modem and they are updated etc and I practically begged the person to help me out but after 10 minutes of him insisting I accept an engineer visit and me telling him a thousand times that I can't afford to pay for it I just said bye and was left distraught. Then, 15 minutes after the call ended I get a call asking me when it would be suitable for me to arrange an engineer visit!!! What the hell??!!

So here I am with the same problem, no one seems to want to help unless I pay £129, the only glimmer of hope is that my contract ends soon and I will look for a company with better customer support!!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

@Anyanca I'm sorry to see you're having problems with your broadband and line. If you have noise on the line this can unfortunately cause issues with the broadband too. Getting the noisy line issue fixed should also fix the broadband connection.

When you're experiencing the noisy line have you tried connecting to the test socket to see if this helps? The test socket check connects your directly to the network and helps to rule out any internal wiring from being at fault.

I also wanted to clarify that the £129.99 charge is only applicable if the fault is caused by your own internal wiring or setup. If the problem is on the network there is no charge.

Community ModeratorNeilO
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 5

As @NeilO has said if you have noise on your line it will adversely affect you broadband connection. Report a line fault on   151 and don't mention broadband.

Once the line fault is corrected your Broadband should recover.

0 Ratings
Anyanca
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

I have not been able to try the test socket yet as, like I said, it's not always noisy but I will try as soon as it happens. I did the quiet line test and the noise was horrendous! As for the engineer, I understand that the fee is only if the problem is at my end, but I can't afford to take that chance.

Last year I called customer service with a broadband problem and was told rather rudely that there was no fault and it must be my fault. I called every day for a week and each time I was told there was no fault. About a week later BT came out and admitted that the fault was actually theirs! I have to say that the call centres in India are very rude! They swear at you and hang up on you so I stopped calling altogether. My contract ends in a few weeks and all the promises BT gave about UK centres don't seem to be enough so I will be looking for a provider who's customer service leaves me with some dignity!

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 5 of 5

Report a line fault if you still get noise when connected to the test socket. This will prove the fault is external and no charge will be incurred.

ATM BT are recruiting for their call centre in Cardiff.

0 Ratings