By the sound of it I don't think the op actually entered the footway box probably just lifted the lid and had a look in. Not ideal I know but he was just looking for water.
OK, far be it from me be mildly miffed by what I think it rather an over reaction, but the objective me posting here was to find out either things I could resolve myself or ways I could find out questions I could ask an engineer. To get flamed as a results - wow, goodness me what a reaction. I have no plans to rise to a slanging match - I don't see that sort of thing as being productive - there is far too much of that sort of rubbish on twitter or comments under many youtube videos. Instead, I shall simply explain my position and those who have helped me here.
The covered I accessed is in my front lawn - it is a tiny cover, about 40cm across with a hole about 50cm deep - hardly a major deal in my opinion. The way I see it, it is no different to lifting the lid on my water stopcock. If this has broken some rules or laws then I appologise but when nothing has happened to resolve the issue I am having with my broadband - the call centre isn't helping and a first visit from an engineer produces no results, then I think it is not unreasonable to initially try to resolve it yourself and if that isn't possible at least find out at much information as you can in order to help the person who can hopefully resolve it - the second engineer.
No one on this forum told me to lift the lid - I chose to do that because (as highlighted), I have had a issue with another property where water got into the cable TV lines and caused the phone to go crackly. I went to have a look to rule that out as a possibility. I lifted the lid, saw no water. I never expected that there would be anything I could in there. But if there was water, I could tell the engineer what I had seen.
Did I think it was one bit of wire between us and the exchange? Of course not. If you read my post, I said that I expect the cyclindrical box would have a whole load of krone connectors in there so an engineer can swap pairs etc. Obviously thank you for assuming I am dumb.
Anyhow, while I wait for the mods to appear at my house and take me away for further questioning, I would like to thank those who helped me on this thread. I was able to print out my findings for the engineer about the noise on the line. He took the master socket off the wall and cut the pairs back and then re-connected a new master socket (one of those dual ones with the filter built in). He then reset the port and we now have 14Mbs. He actually thanked me for the findings because it said it saved him time. The conclusion was noise on the line caused by a old master socket and the port in the cab throttling the connection by DLM as a result.
Right, now off to use some lovely fast broadband (fast for this village anyway). Lol cat videos perhaps?
C'mon ! It's good fun having a crafty peep into those little underground cesspits. My Openreach mate was 'laughing like a drain' While he was telling me about the inspection holes full of human waste and crud . . . He showed me a picture of one of those sealed black cable joints with a **bleep** stuck on it . . Urghhhh !
Lines_man: OK fine, whatever. I get the principle even if I may not fully know the exact equipment used. Feel free to be superiour - it bothers me not.
As requested by the others
|1. Product name:||BT Home Hub|
|2. Serial number:|
|3. Firmware version:||Software version 22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199.6 (Type A) Last updated Unknown|
|4. Board version:||BT Hub 5A|
|5. VDSL uptime:||0 days, 00:56:04|
|6. Data rate:||797 / 14785|
|7. Maximum data rate:||1184 / 14402|
|8. Noise margin:||17.4 / 6.1|
|9. Line attenuation:||0.0 / 34.7|
|10. Signal attenuation:||0.0 / 31.1|
|11. Data sent/received:||172.4 MB / 3.0 GB|
I find it amusing that on our old connection we were fairly consistent at 10GB/Month download. Within a couple of days on the faster speed we are up to 3GB! I don't doubt for many this is chicken feed, but for us, it is like a new awakening.