cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 21

Re: FTTP not available to order in my street

Hi

I hope all you smart people will tolerate and help a newbie who is struggling for answers or at least point me in the right direction.

I have been a virgin media customer for years in Hertfordshire but I am now moving to Caister NR30 5JY. VM is available at the house literally a few doors away but not mine. I think it is because we will be at the end of a street where the pavement does not exist and you go straight out on the road from the bungalow.

So I am looking at Fibre 2 with BT but does the pavement situation mean that I am also unlikely to be able to get BT higher speeds any time soon for the same reason as Virgin?

Also, the property has been renovated over 4 years in which time no one has lived there. It is set well back from the road and I can not even spot a telegraph pole on street view! They give a minimum speed guarantee on the website but are there situations where in the real world where they can not deliver? Should I be worried?

Thanks to all and apologies again if OT.

Rob 

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

I have moved your post to start your own thread as it is totally different to the thread you posted on and would cause confusion.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 21

Have you contacted virgin as an existing customer auto see if they can provide you with service

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 21

Yep, no can do presumably because nowhere to run the cables.
Will post on new thread from now on!
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 21

Hmm, not sure where the solution ticked came from although I am new to the forum and doing this on an ipad!

Let me try again. FTTP is just a dream at the moment. My concern is are there any likely scenarios where BT can not even provide me with Fibre 2 for some obscure reason?

My concern is that I buy a quirky house and find I can not get internet!

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 21

Put the address of the property in the checker and post the result. https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 21

Screenshot 2020-10-05 185314.png

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 21

As you can see, FTTC is available to you. You just need to place an order.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 21

Thanks for your help and patience Licquorice. I am glad I stumbled across this forum.

I am actually well out of my depth here so nothing is clear to me at all!😁

I have been spoiled by Virgin Media, the speeds and everything coming in by cable.

Now I have to think of aerials for Freeview, whether they will get a good light of sight when we are a bungalow and have large trees around us.

And I am probably worrying unnecessarily but the fact that we are set well back from the road and I can not spot a telegraph pole (that's how broadband comes in?) and there has been no one in the property for 4 years so do not even know if there is a phone line,  should not be a problem?

BT sales people say it is rare that they have problems connecting but I do not want to spend all that money on a place and find I am the rare one!!!!

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 21

Broadband can be delivered by wires from a pole or via underground cable. If there are no poles in the area it will be underground.

The checker shows that the absolute minimum speed you will be guaranteed  to get is 44Mbps and the maximum 74Mbps.  The checker estimates are usually fairly conservative, so expect towards the higher figure.

0 Ratings