cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 21

Re: FTTP not available to order in my street

You are going to get bored of me! 😀

If Virgin can not deliver cable broadband, presumably because we have no pavement in front of the house for them to bury it under, then how can BT?

And IF that is true and I am right about the lack of poles where does that leave me?

The trouble is I can not get anyone interested in doing a survey until I sign up and I can only sign up once I have bought the place and given them access to it.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 21

The cables will already be there from years ago, I can't imagine the property has never had a telephone. If you are happy to post the name of the street we can have a look on streetview to see if there are any clues.

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 21

Good thinking batman!

If you look at this 2 year old image (and before redevelopment I might add!) you will see the problem with the lack of pavement at the front of the property by the for sale sign

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@52.650648,1.724026,257.25h,-20.39p,0.16z

However,  interestingly there is a telegraph pole on the other side  of the road which, I hold my hands up, I had not noticed on our one night time flying visit!

So I am assuming that would be the solution, although don't get me started on how they run wires across a busy main road!

Thanks again for your help and advice. 

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 21

I suspect it is fed from a pole in the rear somewhere, possibly in Church Close along with the other properties in Church Close. Unfortunately streetview doesn't extend to Church Close.

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 21

Hi liquorice

I hope you are well and still on these forums?

My saga continues.  The move to Caister was delayed and now looks likely to be Jan next year. I recently went back on the BT site to check prices and was surprised to see no fibre available and a min guaranteed speed of 3 MB. No good whatsoever for two of us working from home!

BT tell me the local cabinet has run out of space and now it is a waiting game for capacity to be free. I have no idea how long a wait this is likely to be or indeed whether I go to the back of a long queue.

Any advice as to how I should play this?

Happy Christmas to one and all!

Rob

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 21

if your cab now has a waiting list for FTTC then there is no actual 'queue' so best approach is to keep checking with dslchecker and as soon as you see available then place an order

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 17 of 21

Thanks imjolly

Is the dsl checker the same as the broadband availability checker from earlier in the thread? If so the address is not coming up at the moment which also worries me.  The property has not been occupied for a few years which is why I am very nervous about what sort of connection I am eventually going to get.

Regards

Rob

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 21

Just enter an adjacent address that will be connected to the cabinet, that will show whether the cabinet is full or not.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 21

Hi

I tried again and it found the address on the desktop but not when I did it on the iPad for some odd reason.

It is showing the same info as highlighted in post 7 on this thread with the exception of now showing "waiting list" in the top 2 lines. (Incidentally, how do you insert that image, I am struggling?)

Why is FTTP on demand showing as "available" in the columns under "Availability date" but further down states "FTTP is not available"??

How can I find out what Openreach plans are for the area in terms of improvement/expansion?

I know I sound a bit paranoid but it is so important that I get a decent internet connection to work from home. So much so that I am considering getting a new iPad with cellular to use as a wi-fi hub (I still do most work on a desktop) or a 4G hub from 3 to use in the interim while I am waiting for BT.

Finally, do other providers get reserved slots in the cabinet, is it possible that they may have availability or does the waiting list on the report cover everyone?

Thanks for reading, I would welcome your further thoughts.

Rob

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 21

Hi @tiswas100 

I have sent you a private message.  Have a read when you can spare a moment please 😊

Cheers,

Robbie

0 Ratings