cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
johnde
Message 1 of 5

Re: Home Hub 5 (Types A & B)

I recently had Infinity2 activated just after our area got FTC. I got a BT HH5 type B which had issues with Hub Manager (some functions not working) and after complaining about this and speed issues - best d/l 39MB and u/l 7MB - was sent a HH type A and an OR Engineer visit. He replaced my main ADSL socket which gave a slight speed improvement. He said I would be unlikely to get better speed until BT replaced the aluminium wire from the cabinet, this apparently was an economy measure over copper several years ago. This type A still has some issues with Hub Manager and both down and up loads are worse than with type B. I have complained again (which was hard work with Bombay) and am awaiting another replacement. Don't know which type it will be until it arrives. From what I have read on this and other forums most people seem to find type B the best speedwise, what about problems with Hub Manager - any comments?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

As you have a Home Hub 5, please display the full connection statistics including noise margins, by following the instructions on this page.

Check your connection speed for the Home Hub 5

Could you please post the results from the BT Speedtester, including the further diagnostics.

BT Wholesale Speedtester

Thanks

0 Ratings
steephill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

As there is aluminium cable in your line there is no point wasting your money on Infinity 2 or worrying about which Homehub to use. Downgrade to Infinity 1 and you will still get exactly the same speeds and save some money. There seems to be little chance that BT or Openreach will ever replace aluminium cable with copper so the only hope of getting greater speeds will depend on the network going all fibre at some far distant point in the future. New technologies developing faster speeds over copper are not going to work with aluminium in the line.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

@steephill comment about aluminium cables may well be the cause of your lower speeds but you need to post the information requested by Keith so we can see some stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 5

Ali is fine. Only slightly higher attenuation than copper. If its in good condition you shouldn't see much difference.
0 Ratings