cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kphill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Re: Home Hub 5 slows down every day and needs a reset

I've tried splitting ssid, changing to various channels, but still needs a reset every day. Starts off 65-68mb then can barely load a web page by the end of the day.

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

restarting you router on a daily basis will have a detrimental affect on your connection speed

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester

are you using test socket with a new filter?

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number wholesale FTTC check

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Mike-B
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 16

I started the previous (solved) thread & for me its solved.  Your problem sounds exactly the same as I had.   For me the solution was a replacement hub - old one was Type-B,  new one is Type-A.  Call the helpdesk, if they offer a new hub take it.  If they put you on the usual never ending wheel of doing nothing (& you will get the same from the on-line chats)  send them an e-mail asking for a technical call & make sure the e-mail includes all the following info - next time you loose wireless speed, connect your PC to the hub over ethernet. If the BT line to your house is OK you will get maximum speed - log/record the down & up load sync speeds, then do the same on 2.4GHz & then 5GHz & record those.  That will (should) proove to the BT call guy its either the BT line before your property or the wireless functionality of the hub.     

0 Ratings
kphill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 16

I have a type B. I have requested a new one.

1.Product Name:
HomeHub5
2.Serial number:
+076286+1550002910
3.Firmware version:

v0.07.05.0A13-BT (Type B) Last updated 23/3/2016
4.Board version:01
5.WAN:PPP connected
6.Data sent/received:129.1 MB / 1.1 GB
7.Broadband username:
bthomehub@btbroadband.com
8.BT Wi-fi:Yes
9.2.4GHz wireless network/SSID:

BTHub5-SF6G
10.2.4GHz wireless connections:

Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
11.2.4GHz wireless security:

WPA2 Only (Recommended)
12.2.4GHz wireless channel:11

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
65.92 Mbps

0 Mbps 68.08 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 65.92 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 47.65 Mbps-68.08 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 68.08 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
17.11 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 17.11Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact

So it's fine at the moment yet in a couple of hours or sooner it will slow to around 5-10mbps. Not sure what a test socket is but changing filters makes no diference. Phone line test is quiet.

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 5 of 16

If you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then troubleshooting/ helpdesk and post lines 1-12.

What you have posted is not what was asked.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 16

Looks like you are connecting through the white Openreach modem, is that correct?

0 Ratings
kphill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 16

I am indeed. Followed instructions but it lasted 3 days before it slowed back down to 10mbps. Longest time yet before requiring a restart.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 16

Is it only on wireless connections or do wired connections also slow down?

If it is on both you could make a direct connection from your PC to the modem which will eliminate the Homehub. Follow this guide to do that. Use your computer as normal to see if the slow down continues. If it does not slow down you will know it is the hub at fault. Obviously you will not be able to use any other devices or wireless devices when doing this.

Step 1: Remove the homehub from the modem

Step2: Connect your pc/laptop into the modem using LAN1 port

Step3: Open network and sharing centre on windows and click set up a new connection or network

Step4: Connect to the internet then click make a new connection Broadband PPPoE

Step5: Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the password as BT

Step6: connect, If it doesn't,keep pressing try again until it does.

0 Ratings
kphill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 16

Wired is fine. It appears to be a wireless problem.
0 Ratings
kphill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 16

I notice if I change the 5ghz channel from say  44 to 36 or vice versa it rockets back up to 65-70mb then over a period of time it slows again.

0 Ratings