cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Burnside5
Contributor
Message 31 of 36

Re: I believe BT have capped my Internet speed, What can I do about it ?

@gg30340 wrote:

If he has not fixed a fault and has only reset DLM you will find that your line will start to lower its speed again over time. 

Hopefully this will not happen and the engineer did a proper job.

Unfortunately this does appear to have happened, as I am already back down to the same speed I was experiencing before. So another frustrating call to BT only to be told that all is well as no faults reported despite speeds being much lower than guaranteed minimum, so I have to have yet another engineer visit.

As mine was a new line in a new house from a new cabinet, is it possible that I was put into a DLM band on install instead of being in an open profile?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 32 of 36

You line initially should start with no restrictions and fast latency. If connection problems or lot of errors or line noise then your speed will reduce as DLM sees it as a problem. Need to hope next broadband engineer finds the problem, fixes it. And then resets DLM

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Burnside5
Contributor
Message 33 of 36

So when I 1st moved in the installation engineer informed me I was getting 40Mbps but when I set everything up I was only getting 8Mbps, BT told me that there was a fault on the line that would be fixed within 4 days. After that point it went up to around 24-27Mbps, so still below the guaranteed minimum. Only after the engineer visit yesterday did it actually exceed 35Mbps and was running at around 38Mbps. Now I am back down to the 20's again.

I can just see a never ending circle of engineer visit, brief improvement, then back to where I am again. And every time I need to work from home but struggle to do that with my broadband going up and down whilst the engineer is doing his thing. Call to India are really not helping, especially when they tell me my speed is good and there are no issues....getting 10Mbps below minimum guaranteed is not good from where I am sitting!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 36

Post your current router stats please

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
adslmax
Contributor
Message 35 of 36

It would be nice to see the router stats each time the user says the internet is slow
0 Ratings
Burnside5
Contributor
Message 36 of 36

Yes I will post them as soon as I find where my 3 year old put plastic tab with the admin password on it!

0 Ratings