Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hippogriff
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Re: Infinity 1 - told "You could get 29Mb-38Mb" but getting <9Mb

Go to solution

I'm wanting to resurrect this thread from mid-2015 because I am experiencing issues once again.

After hardly ever doing anything with Broadband that you might class as heavy usage, I've started to watch the entire X Files collection on Demand 5 over the last couple of months - it's been great. Not one problem with streaming the video to my smart TV. However, in the last week to 10 days it has been nothing but problematic... it's like something changed overnight.

I'm getting 5 On Demand "Whoops!" messages saying that my Internet connection needs to be checked. I'm getting the video stopping while a circle timer icon shows. I'm getting this >10 times per episode. All-in-all it's a pretty bad experience. I can't imagine that it should happen with Infinity.

So I started checking things on the router and speed checkers again - not altering anything (I know when to leave well enough alone) - the speed checker was sometimes showing 1mbps! I've just run a BT Wholesale Performance Test and that shows 14.78mbps. That would be fine - but it's certainly not consistent and it had been much higher previously. It says the IP profile is 26.13mbps and the bar is red as opposed to green. Below that it says - "This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault." - which certainly implies some kind of fault.

On the router, the only thing I've noticed that's changed (and I promise I've never changed anything) was that it had Annex B before - now it has Annex A. That's confused me as I thought it was a router setting, not something that can change automatically?

What can I do next? Last time NeilO engaged with me and was very helpful, but I gather I should not PM a Moderator and I'm not entirely sure how I started that engagement last time.

My DSL Uptime is only 1 day and 16 hours, because I did reboot the router in frustration the other day and I'd hope that wouldn't make DLM kick-in.

The router also says Data Rate is 26063 kbps, Max Rate is 40776 kbps and SNR is 5.8 dB.

I'm just looking for stability, it doesn't have to be the fastest ever.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Go to solution

Hi @Hippogriff,

I've moved your comment to a new thread as the issues may not be the same as the last time.

You can get in touch with us by clicking on my user name and then on contact the mods. You'll see that in my about me section.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Hippogriff
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Understood, and thanks.

I've made contact via the link.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks @Hippogriff.

I can see that it's in with us now. One of the team will be picking it up over the next couple of days and will be in touch.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
Hippogriff
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

An Engineer was booked, by the helpful Moderators here, and visited today. He's done a profile reset as, when a further test had been done by the Moderators, they'd identified a "profile mismatch". Now, I don't really have any idea what that is but I've been asked to just keep an eye on the line and keep watching old episodes of the X Files... which I'm very happy to do. Nothing wrong physically with anything, it seems... more settings and some automated changes, potentially.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@Hippogriff Thanks for the update, I'll contact you back in a few days to make sure the connection speed is holding. 

0 Ratings