cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jmk-ab35
Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Re: Infinity 2 - Inconsistent Speed (Deeside, Aberdeenshire area); evening is <5mbps

Go to solution

My neighbour & I, further up the Dee valley in Ballater, have been finding the same issue, ridiculously slow download speed in the evenings. Tonight, it was 4mb, sometimes 18mb.

In two months of Infinity, have not achieved anything close to my contracted 38mb, the maximum I get is around 20mb (ie, below the guaranteed minimum). Yet my neighbour usually gets around 36mb (except evenings, of course).

Our houses are part of the same development & half a mile from exchange & new street cabinet. The difference is he got both a phone call & visit from an engineer, who fitted a new master socket & set up/tested his hub. I got absolutely nothing, just the hub in the post. The sales person said "oh, we've found we don't need to do house visits anymore". I took that to mean "oh, we've decided to save money by not bothering to ensure new customers are correctly set up".

Today I decided to try to arrange for a fault report to be logged & try to get an engineer to replace the socket & check if my line has been set up correctly.....the IP Profile has been 23.95mb since the first day & I'm sure (from reading this forum) this is why I'm only getting around 20mb max.

However, the "chat" person said my neighbour's speed test results were "not possible", and that my line's ok, and BT would not accept a fault report unless I was getting below the 23mb, when I'm paying for 38mb. I don't take kindly to being told I'm lying by some remote individual employed to help customers.

Yes, the "offshore" support do seem to think we're stupid & that we don't realise they're reading from a script, to fob us off with answers which imply they're actually checking our lines & equipment "on the spot".

However....when my neighbour called to report his 4mb evening service, he was guided through changes to the address on his home hub 5, which magically seemed to put his wireless connection back to "normal". If it's that simple, why are BT not emailing all of us with the same instruction?

However, I'm using a cat6e network, not wifi, and it's the speed to my hub that's my issue.

This is all beginning to smell too much like a deisel car emissions test ;0)

19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Infinity 2 - Inconsistent Speed (Deeside, Aberdeenshire area); evening is <5mbps

Go to solution

welcome to the forum

are you using the test socket with a new filter?  a new SSFP should be better than just conencting to test socket

can you go to hub manager then troubleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet no hiss/crackle and best with corded phone

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done wired

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
jmk-ab35
Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Go to solution

Hi,

Thanks for replying, I'd not anticipated that in someone else's topic (which I guess I sort of hijacked, as he's just 30 miles down the valley). I was going to get organised with my diagnostics etc and post a new topic.

I'll run those now.

A few bits of related info....

I currently have a 6-year-old BT Business Broadband contract (6-8mb) on my business line in the house. I checked with both BT Business support & BT Domestic sales, before ordering Infinity, if this could have any negative impact on Infinity via the domestic line. Both advised that it would not. I had my line checked by Openreach a couple of years ago, after a spell of particularly slow performance. No problems found, the problem was with the exchange.

I'd been following broadband developments in this area via the rollout programme sponsored by the Scottish Gov't, and was aware our exchange would not get the superfast level. Our exchange can handle 38mb. I live 5 minutes walk from it & the recently installed (May/June 2015) street cabinet. I'm in a small 10-year-old circular street development, all underground cabling from exchange.

My neighbour (across the road) was one of the first 10 to order Infinity (engineer told him), he got a call from the engineer at the exchange, then a home visit, a new master socket installed, and his hub connected & tested by the engineer. Since then, he has largely been achieving close to the maximum (ie, BTW figures of 36.7mb, with 37.78mb as his IP Profile), and he runs his speed tests (which I showed him) on a wifi link to his hub, he doesn't use ethernet as he has no ethernet adapter for his macbook air (I lent him mine, for a speed test). 

My order was placed 28th July, but I was told it would be "self-install"....when I questioned this I wasn't too happy to be told that it was no longer considered necessary. When I asked about the new master socket, I was told this also wasn't necessary. It still puzzles me that my neighbour's installation, a couple of weeks earlier, was so different, and necessary.

From my order:

We estimate your download speed will be between 27Mb and 36Mb. We estimate your upload speed will be between 6Mb and 8Mb. The lowest speed you can expect from your BT Infinity will be 23Mb.

I have hardly ever - if at all - achieved 23mb, though occasionally the "BT.com speed test" will say it's 26mb to the house, but 20mb or lower download from the hub. The BT Wholesale speed test usually shows lower figures, but I noticed my IP Profile was set at 23.95mb, and reading all the related forum topics made me think this was what was "blocking" me from achieving download speeds similar to my neighbour.

Since my infinity upgrade in early August:

I've done the quiet line test a few times, always been silent

I run the BT Wholesale (incl diagnostics) / BT.com speedtest / Ookla speed test on a regular basis. On BTW, I've noticed my IP profile has moved up slightly to 25.24, from the initial 23.95.

Before reading your reply this morning, I'd arranged to take my laptop across to my neighbour & plug it into his hub5, to run the set of speed tests using identical conditions. I'll do that now & post my results from my house (incl my hub5 helpdesk data) & from his, for comparison.

Re your question on sockets/filters:

I'm using one of the filters that arrived with my hub5, into the master socket. My master socket is the older type (ie, a decade old) without the built-in filter.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 4 of 20

Go to solution

Using your neighbours connection does not reproduce identical conditions as you will be using a different pair from the cabinet and different internal wiring.

Posting the info @imjolly has requested is more important in diagnosing your problem.

0 Ratings
jmk-ab35
Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Go to solution

Sorry, didn't word that bit too well. What I meant was that plugging my laptop into his hub5 would run the tests on his hub & line, with identical kit....to me, if I see 36/37mb in the results, this would imply that there is no good reason why the line to my house should not be capable of achieving similar results. His house is on the inside of this circle of houses, but I appreciate that cable/connection issues can vary.

If I unscrew the faceplate of my master socket & plug my hub directly into the internal socket, this cuts out the internal wiring as a potential factor, doesn't it? I was asked to do this on my business line a couple of years ago.

My Hub5 diagnostic data&colon;

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068543+NQ51532076
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 02/09/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:30 days, 11:55:25
6. Data rate:7891 / 26074
7. Maximum data rate:7891 / 25688
8. Noise margin:6.1 / 5.6
9. Line attenuation:28.9 / 25.6
10. Signal attenuation:28.7 / 21.6
11. Data sent/received:3.5 GB / 78.2 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wholesale diagnostics:

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
 24.48 Mbps

0 Mbps25.24 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 24.48 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 17.67 Mbps-25.24 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 25.24 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 5.99 Mbps

0 Mbps10 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 5.99Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

Thanks for responsing so fast.

0 Ratings
jmk-ab35
Contributor
Message 6 of 20

Go to solution

Re the BT Wholesale speed test results above, it's not often that the download is over 20mb.

Availability checker....

Telephone Number 013397***** on Exchange BALLATER is served by Cabinet 2

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) / Upstream Line Rate(Mbps) / Downstream Range(Mbps) / Availability Date

High - Low        /          High - Low    

FTTC Range A (Clean)36.427.97.55.5--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)3016.47.43.7--Available
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 17--10 to 19.5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 17Up to 1.510 to 19.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 8--7 to 8Available
Fixed Rate2 ----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 20

Go to solution

sorry but not sure if you are currently connected to test socket or still in master socket.  you are correct that by connecting to test socket it eliminates your faceplat as faulty and also eliminates your iinternal wiring assuming all sockets are 'dead'

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jmk-ab35
Contributor
Message 8 of 20

Go to solution

The data posted above is with the hub still connected to the faceplate of the master socket....by short extension cable, as this is how I have to use it every day. The master socket is in the daftest place imaginable (builder's fault, not BT), beside the front door, with no power sockets anywhere near it & internal doors on either side.

Q: Which dept at BT would I need to talk to re the possibility (& cost) of getting the incoming cable (underground, up & drilled through wall to master socket) moved to enter the house via one of the front rooms, and the master socket moved? 

I'll disconnect the faceplate & repeat the tests with the hub connected directly to the test socket.

Meantime, I visited my neighbour & checked his line, as he's been having wildly fluctuating speed test results. I compared his data to mine & noticed (apart from his 38mb download compared to my 24mb) the difference in items 9 & 10, and wondered what impact this has, or what causes the difference?

My data                    Neighbour's data

6 Data Rate                                    7891 / 26074              8208 / 39613    

7 Max Data Rate                             7891 / 25688              8208 / 41146 

8 Noise Margin                                6.1 / 5.6                    5.6 / 6.5

9 Line attenuation                           28.9 / 25.6                 0.0 / 24.8  

10 Signal attenuation                        28.7 / 21.6                0.0 / 0.0 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 20

Go to solution

I think although the hubs looks the same I think yours is a hh5A and neighbour HH5B.  comparing 2 lines may seem logical but as they are totally different pair of wires although running in same dirrection one set could be better than the other

other difference and probably important is you neighbour is running from master socket and you are running from extension socket

0 Ratings
jmk-ab35
Contributor
Message 10 of 20

Go to solution

You're correct, I noticed his hub is a 5B, yet his installation was 2 months before I even ordered mine, and a 5A turned up in the post. I assume there's some improvement from 5A to 5B.

One wee point....I've not been using an extension wall-socket, just a slightly longer 4metre cable (from master socket, under the hall rug & under the door into the lounge to the hub) than the one that arrived with the hub.

Re-testing, with the master socket faceplate removed & the hub cabled to the “test socket” within the master socket – I now get similar download speed to my neighbour, ie 37.76, with the IP Profile now 38.67.

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Telephone Number 013397***** on Exchange BALLATER is served by Cabinet 2

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

High

Low

High

Low

FTTC Range A (Clean)

--

Available

FTTC Range B (Impacted)

--

Available

WBC ADSL 2+

Up to 17

--

10 to 19.5

Available

WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M

Up to 17

Up to 1.5

10 to 19.5

Available

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed

37.76 Mbps

0 Mbps

38.67 Mbps Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 37.76 Mbps  For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 27.07 Mbps-38.67 Mbps .  Additional Information:  IP Profile for your line is - 38.67 Mbps

1. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed

6.49 Mbps

0 Mbps

10 Mbps Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 6.49Mbps  Additional Information:  Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068543+NQ51532076
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 02/09/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 01:00:13
6. Data rate:7367 / 39952
7. Maximum data rate:7367 / 49908
8. Noise margin:6.1 / 10.6
9. Line attenuation:37.5 / 24.2
10. Signal attenuation:26.2 / 21.8
11. Data sent/received:3.6 GB / 78.6 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

These readings clearly indicate that there is either a problem with the Master Socket, or something being introduced from the “internal wiring” that’s connected from the master? I had my internal wiring checked a couple of years ago by the local electrician & a BT engineer, when my business line & broadband was being checked for problems which were eventually traced to the exchange.

I see I still have high line/signal attenuation figures though. Is that an issue to be followed-up?

Having posted all this data, what steps should I now take to achieve the full speed with the master socket & internal wiring re-connected? In your opinion:

• Should I be asking for an engineer visit to change out the Master Socket to one of the new ones, and how would this be arranged? If I can’t get this agreed, can this also be done by my own local electrician, or is it considered the last bit of the BT-owned connection?
  • Should I arrange for the electrician to re-check the internal wiring now, or wait to see if the master socket gets replaced & solves the issue?

Two questions:

• Why does the Cabinet-to-House speed increase in the download tests, when I connect to the master socket’s “test socket”?
  • Would asking for the incoming cable to be relocated be a worthwhile change (also considering I'd be asked to pay something for this...I'd want to know how much, before going ahead)?

0 Ratings