cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 20

Re: Infinity 2 - Inconsistent Speed (Deeside, Aberdeenshire area); evening is <5mbps

Go to solution

I think the problem is more likely the extension cable you are using which is probably a typical flat rj11 cable whereas a better quality cable and shielded would give better results - but may be a bit more obvious under a carpet

you can buy the MK3 socket and change your own with some basic diy

The attenuation is ok and similar to your neighbour as you would expect

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
jmk-ab35
Contributor
Message 12 of 20

Re: Infinity 2 - Inconsistent Speed (Deeside, Aberdeenshire area); evening is <5mbps

Go to solution

I'll see if I can find a better (& shielded) hub-socket cable, as a temporary solution. I can drill holes in the skirting on both sides of the doorway & run narrow trunking along the inside of the doorstep. The house has concrete flooring, otherwise all this would be simple!

I would prefer, though, to relocate the master socket & the point where the incoming underground cable is drilled through the stonework to the master socket....ie, move the master socket into one of the front rooms where the hub can be located.

I can't imagine BT would want me doing this, so I'll try calling the line installations people to see what's possible. I doubt if the outside cable can be extended easily, so I'm probably very limited in options.   

I'll also acquire a new master socket & fit it.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 20

Go to solution

I use a cabe like this  belkin shielded rj11_.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jmk-ab35
Contributor
Message 14 of 20

Go to solution

The cable I've been using is a Belkin RJ11 ADSL modem cable, which I'll upgrade to a £11 "Belkin 10m RJ11 Male to Male Hi-Speed Internet Modem Cable" (F3L900cp10MWH-S), which is the product code for the one you posted (available on the BT shop site) but white coated...it's described as being similar thickness to a Sat cable.

Re the MK3 replacement master socket, the latest model I can see available is the £17.50 "BT Openreach - MK3 2014 Version - vDSL Interstitial Faceplate, ADSL Filter & I-Plate / iplate, Replaces NT2000 / NT2005 and iPlate, ADSL / ADSL2 / BT Infinity Compatible". I'm assuming the covered slot in the top half is for the RJ11 cable to Hub, with a plain lower half faceplate with the phone socket cover over the socket visible lower right?

Openreach MK3 2014 Version - vDSL Interstitial Faceplate.jpg

Due to work commitments, I'm probably not going to be able to fit this for a couple of weeks, but I at least know now that the line is delivering the maximum 36mb to the house. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 20

Go to solution

that just slots in when you take of the bottom half of the NTE5 - no wiring changes needed

you may want to check the auction site and save some money

0 Ratings
jmk-ab35
Contributor
Message 16 of 20

Go to solution

FAO "The Rev".....

The Belkin superfast/screened cable & MK3 faceplate both arrived today.

You'd suggested the older RJ11 cable may have been the cause, so I first replaced it with the new Belkin one (which is also available in the BT shop, but the clear version, not white), via a BT filter with the phone, into the phone socket of the old master faceplate.

• The connection speed from Exchange to House went up from 20-24mb to 39.8mb
  • The download speed from Hub to Laptop went up from 20 to 29mb
  • Upload speed was similar, 5mb

I then unplugged everything & connected the new MK3 (pre-filtered) faceplate & snapped the cabled lower half into it, plugged the Belkin RJ11 cable into the filtered socket in the top half, and the phone into the lower (old) half.

• The download speed from Hub to Laptop went up from 29mb to 37mb.
  • Upload speed didn't change, still 5mb

The full stats are posted below, in a separate post.

So, it appears that a new master socket is pretty much an essential, to be more certain of obtaining the maximum download speed. And, if the Hub5 isn't right beside the master socket, a better/thicker/shielded RJ11 cable than those sold for ADSL use (& than the one that's delivered with the Hub 5) is advisable. In my case, the two items have (roughly 50/50) resolved a drop in download speed of a combined 30-40%, ie circa 16mb.

Thanks for your prompt responses & suggestions. I'll definitely recommend to anyone with similar issues to browse/search this forum for likely solutions.

0 Ratings
jmk-ab35
Contributor
Message 17 of 20

Go to solution

Speed Test results & Hub stats following installation of new MK3 master faceplate & Belkin shielded faceplate-hub cable:

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068543+NQ51532076
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 02/09/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 01:08:51
6. Data rate:7425 / 39952
7. Maximum data rate:7428 / 44446
8. Noise margin:5.9 / 8.5
9. Line attenuation:38.4 / 24.7
10. Signal attenuation:27.0 / 22.3
11. Data sent/received:256.1 MB / 2.4 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER

Telephone Number 0133975**** on Exchange BALLATER is served by Cabinet 2

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

HighLowHighLow    

FTTC Range A (Clean)36.427.97.55.5--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)3016.47.43.7--Available
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 17--10 to 19.5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 17Up to 1.510 to 19.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 8--7 to 8Available

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
 36.98 Mbps

0 Mbps38.67 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 36.98 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 27.07 Mbps-38.67 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 38.67 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
 6.05 Mbps

0 Mbps10 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 6.05Mbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10 Mbps
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 20

Go to solution

Great result with a small bit of effort. smiley thumbs up.jpg

0 Ratings
jmk-ab35
Contributor
Message 19 of 20

Go to solution

A wee postscript, before I click the "magical solution" button.....

BT Forums:

Lots of useful advice on many different issues. Fast, to-the-point responses from people who understand the problems & ask the right questions. Definitely a service that could do with more prominence in the myriad of BT emails we receive.

BT Infinity Sales / Delivery:

From various discussions with colleagues at work in Aberdeen, it would appear that, as Infinity is gradually extending up the rural Aberdeenshire valleys, and branching out to smaller communities, the first few orders at each exchange are getting site visits from engineers, who are changing out the master socket faceplates & testing the hub & speed.

Within a few weeks, the rest of us are paying the same £35 "connection fee", but told that it's a self-install deal.

In my case, and some others, we're then having to buy the same MK3 faceplate, and possibly a screened cable, which coincidentally cost me another £35.

This will certainly be saving BT quite a bit in engineers' time/cost, but to me this seems a bit short-sighted customer service. I know my way around IT/Comms equipment & cabling and have wired up my last 2 houses for Sat/Cat/Vid etc, but the majority of customers probably don't, and may be left with a service that's anything up to 50% less than they've ordered, and could/should easily be receiving.

BT Domestic First-Line Customer Support:

My initial attempt to find a solution to my download speed issue wasn't taken too seriously, and the online chat solution was to try to fob me off with a "scripted" series of responses, which got to the silly point of arguing that 38 mbps was not possible, as the max is 36mbps....before my irritation level went up rapidly. The "I also checked for other house numbers in your area and they're getting the similar speed" was the red rag point.

Telling customers that we won't even consider dealing with your near-50% shortfall in service because we're only guaranteeing a 60% service level (but we're still taking 100% of your money) is, in my view, ludicrous. When I placed my order (by phone call) I certainly wasn't advised of this. It might have been in the wee print when the confirmation email turned up, but it's not exactly up-front.

I don't find it surprising that BT last month announced that their front-line support will be brought back to the UK, while back-office (no direct contact with customers) functions will remain "offshore". A welcome decision.

Here's the bulk of the chat script.....  

Support: I have checked your line and can see that with BT Infinity your download speed will be between 28 Mbps and 36 Mbps. And your minimum guaranteed access line speed is 23Mbps.

Support: This is the best speed anyone can get in your post code area.

me: No it isn't....the house beside me gets 38mb

Support: I also checked for other house numbers in your area and they're getting the similar speed.

Support: You can also check it online.

Support: I'll help you with the online link.

Support: You can check it here: http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband-packages

Support: Just select, you don't have a landline and then enter your post code.

Support: You can check available speed of all the houses in this area yourself.  [How am I supposed to do this?]

Support: It'll clear all your doubt.

me: No they aren't, I have copies of my neighbour's BT Wholesale speed test, it is 38mb. If we cannot get more than 23mb, why was I sold a package that is priced for 50% more than that? [irritation irrationality creeping in! :0)] 

Support: I'm sorry if you feel so.

Support: The speed you get to any one device depends on a number of factors, for example linking to your home hub wirelessly can sometimes reduce speeds.

me: I have already been in my neighbour's house & watched the line speed test tell him he is getting 38mb

Support: How did you test the line speed?

me: My laptop is cabled to the hub

Support: Is he also with BT?

me: As I said at the start, he is on the same contract as me.

Support: That isn't possible John as the capacity of the line in your post code area is not more than 36Mbps.

Support: Your minimum guaranteed access line speed is 23 Mbps. We always try to restore your speed to the best possible speed.

Support: We can progress it as a fault only if your broadband speed is lower than the minimum guaranteed speed.

me: What isn't possible?.....I have a copy of his speed tests

Support: I can check the current speed of your neighbour's place.

me: This is ridiculous

0 Ratings
jmk-ab35
Contributor
Message 20 of 20

Go to solution

Oh Dear.....a couple of hours later, and Ookla speed test says I'm getting 5mb download speed at 22:30 on a Tuesday night....the problem described by Moody Man, from Banchory.

BTW results, which are always more optimistic than Ookla.....

BTW 06-10-2015 22-58-54.jpg

......back to the tail of the snake again :0(

0 Ratings