cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Re: Infinity 2 package (so fiber optic) on a Home Hub 5 but with a DSL conection.

Go to solution

Hi,

I've been searching the net for an answer to the question which was "what should i replace my HH5 with" as speed isn't a problem so long as i'm hard wired to my router... but from a wireless perspective, it is a) slow and b) constantly losing connection. I was told by the bt helpdesk that it needed to replacing and since we've always been unhappy with the wireless performance, i thought we'd try something else.

So! I did some searching and reading of these forums and just before I hit buy on a Asus DSL-AX68U, I read that Openreach hadn't approved it... phew, disaster avoided. But they have approved a couple of Netgear products so happy days but then I wandered why I needed a "D" product?

So I searched some more and found this coversation and, with respect to pippincp, he's misunderstood and here's why:

I defintely have infinity 2 and I definitely have a HH5 BUT my HH5 is connected to a white box with fibre going into it and a ethernet cable coming out of it and into my red socket on the HH5 (no cable goes into the grey DSL socket). So! I deduce that my big white box (which also has some kind of UPS connected to it) is a modem.

So it sounds OPs cousin has the same set-up as me as I clearly have fibre to my house... am I right?

...and a cheeky question - do I just need a router "R" model router rather than a "D" model modem/router?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Infinity 2 package (so fiber optic) on a Home Hub 5 but with a DSL conection.

Go to solution

You deduce correctly. You have an OR fibre modem (the white box) feeding the HH5's WAN acting as pure router.

You do not need to buy a "DSL" integrated modem/router but any pure Ethernet or "cable" router. For ASUS these would be mainly "RT" models - see Wireless Routers .

Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution
Infinity2 can be delivered via FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) or FTTP (fibre to the premises). You appear to have FTTP and the white box is indeed an ONT which is an optical termination device and modem. Hence you only require a router (R) not a combined modem/ router (D)
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

Ah - thank you so much guys! It means I can spend the same amount and (hopefully) get an even better product  - just looking at reviews now...

Thanks again - glad I finally joined this forum.

0 Ratings