cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 4

Re: Internet cuts off multiple times every night

Did this ever get resolved? I’ve been having identical issues although the router never changes colour and remains blue.

Every day for the past 20 months that I’ve been with bt the connection drops 5-10 times which freezes my discord and kicks me from games that don’t have any tolerance when it comes to connection drops. Others it just disconnects me and reconnects or just pauses for a bit before I can continue playing.

I’ve had a new modem box where the position was moved and this didn’t work. The engineer said the connection they made was well within their tolerances. I’ve tried multiple pc’s with different Ethernet cables. I’ve tried only connecting my pc and no other devices both over wifi and via Ethernet and the same issue happens. I’ve tried using a nighthawk instead of the bt router. Ive had teams from both bt and open reach come out and everything appears to be fine. I’ve also got a new router from bt so I’ve pretty much tried everything to solve it but bt can’t see the issue on their side so I’ve been stuck with drop outs for nearly two years.

I’m even worried about getting into a new contract as the fibre lines will be the same with anyone I go with.

any fixes or advice would be much appreciated. I pay for the 900mb download service.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

I moved your post to start your own thread as you are more likely to get help as other post was 16 months old

if you hub colour remains blue when you suffer drop in connection is it happening to ethernet connected devices as well as wireless?  is it possible there is some interference within your home causing the problem?  do the drops happen at similar times

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 4

Hi you replied to my thread originally so just updating to possibly help. This has been moved so I can't see my original post so can't remember what info was in said post so I'll just post everything that happened, it did get resolved eventually but unfortunately it's very long winded so maybe this can help you save some time. 

The immediate problem was an old function box connected to the phone line, an engineer came out and took the function box out as it literally does nothing. He advised it was cutting off at night as they collect all the errors and they get sent through at a time that is supposed to cause the least problems to the customer, unfortunately I was working nights so the timing was a real pain for me, it also seemed odd to me but he was absolutely adamant this is how they work. 

Anyways it stopped disconnecting constantly but instead would happen maybe 1 or 2 times a night. BT were actually pretty useless from this point on and the issue didn't get resolved until we switched provider. They said they would send us replacement routers and cables to try to fix the issue but they never arrived and they wouldn't send an engineer out until we tried, we were going round in circles with them for months. 

Eventually we switched to Vodafone, issue was still happening so seemed obvious there was an issue on our line somewhere. As soon as the cooling off period ended Vodafone sent an engineer out who replaced the cables around our house internally & external cables from phone pole to house. Issue still kept happening so they sent another engineer who eventually had to replace all the wires on the actual telephone poles and this finally fixed it! Apparently some of the wires had been rubbing on a tree and had worn down, we've not had any issues since and this must've been a year or 2 ago now. 

My advice would be just keep complaining until they actually do something, even if it only disconnects once or twice there is probably an issue somewhere and it'll only get worse, bt were quite useless with us so it took switching provider to actually get the issue resolved. Hope this helps. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Just to also add, I mentioned interference to the engineers that came here as I'd tried a trial and error unplugged devices that may have caused it (this took an absolute age to try and changed absolutely nothing), they said in this day & age its very very very unlikely unless someone nearby is using an extremely old TV or sometimes things like electronic shop shutters or something similar
0 Ratings