cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Re:Moving ONT unit

I have just joined and could not see how to start a new discussion.

My question is: Can I move the ONT unit, it has just been installed. I carefully marked everything out where the hole could go, both inside and out, it was handy to power supply, and internal network cables. 

The engineer said, no, I want plenty of clearance, and drilled the hole 2  ft further up. I thought he was going to put the ONT below, but he said, cannot do that you would have a cable running down your wall. I pointed out that I now have a power cable, and a network cable going up the wall instead, it made no difference.  He said, sorry I cannot put a bend in the cable to plug it in if it goes down.  Now that it is finished there is the same loop in the optical cable to the ONT that there would have been if it went down, and not up.

I live in a listed building, and having this box 3 ft up a wall does not look good.

Can I arrange for someone to move it, even if I have to use a another company to move it for me? 

The fiber cabal is very short, from where it come in, to the plug in, so there is no room to tweak it myself without extending the cable. 

Thank for any guidance you can give.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Re:Moving ONT unit

I have moved your post to start a new thread.

For future reference, just click on 'Post a question' at the top of the board.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

Thanks for moving it to a new subject,  I expected to see a post new item, but there does not seem to be one on my screen, perhaps I need to visit Specsavers.  Thanks anyway.

Tmax_0-1595879233378.png

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

You can't see the 'post a question'as you were In a thread but you need to just be on the forum board i.e. Before selecting post and you will see the heading 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 14

You can arrange for an ONT Shift although the Installation Engineer is the one drilling and they have to minimise risk so if he didn’t feel comfortable drilling where you wanted then that’s up to him.

I’ve refused to drill where people have requested dozens of times and will probably refuse dozens more.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 14

2020-07-27-21_04_32-BT-Fibre-broadband---BT-Community.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

If I had been given a reason, that would have been fine,  it was the same wall, nothing on the outside, just two feet lower. 

I asked if it must be at the height, then can it go left by  1 ft, no he said, that means I have to have the cable going 1 ft along the wall, and would make the cable run to long, it would have been 1 ft 8" instead of 8" and that wall is hidden from view.  It was clear he wanted to come straight from the box outside and directly into the room. The box outside was not installed yet, and could of gone lower.

I think he was still unhappy from his first visit, when he said, they have not done a line of sight visit, or contacted your neighbor, and we need to go in his garden, so you will need to re-book. His comments regarding the office were not complimentary.

When he finished he said, it,s on, the modem is blue, I said it is still slow. That because your still on the old modem, you need to change it over, ok... and he left.

I had to clear up the off-cuts of cables, boxes, and still need to remove the cable he left of the side roof. It must have been an off day for him, and it was raining.

Seems I will have to get someone else to come and move it,  as I have no confidence that I wont get the same engineer if I request a relocation. 

Sometimes things go right, other time they don not.  This time I drew the short straw.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

Did you ever manage to resolve this one? I've found a company online that provide relocation kits for DIY but would much rather someone else do this for me.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

@DaveR118 

the ONT is property of openreach and moving it is not like moving the old style master socket. if you are quite happy to pay the expensive costs if you damage the ONT and need openreach to fix your connection then it is up to you.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.