cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Re: New EE launch

Really hoping someone can advise because BT are not helping.  I am a BT customer and my BT broadband drops out constantly and it prompts me to sign in through EE.  I do this and the connection continually drops.

Can anyone help?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

What is it that drops out? Is it a wireless connection or ethernet one? Does the light on the hub change colour? Do you have FTTC or FTTP? If FTTP what do the lights on the ONT indicate?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Hello,

If your a BT customer then your not effected my the NEW EE Launch and this will not be effecting your Broadband Service.

If your BT ID is showing as an EE ID and you can access your account via the EE App then this appears to be what’s called a BT to EE Regrade Marker where your an existing BT customer and regraded your broadband with NEW EE, BT and EE can access both accounts but only NEW EE Guides can take any actions, this is because NEW EE has been brought into line with BT’s Systems which is a system upgrade for EE, legacy EE has closed existing EE customers can stay on Legacy EE but any new customers will automatically be on NEW EE.

Both EE and BT accounts will start with GB that stands for Geneva Billing it’s a system that is used in the background.

If the contract says BT then it’s BT Broadband and it the contract says EE then it’s NEW EE Broadband.

This is worth verifying because it limits how much help BT and the BT Community can help due to NEW EE using even newer systems, processes and applications but essentially it’s all the same.

Anyways… lets test your broadband connection over a wired connection and use this BT speed test: https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If the speeds are below your stay fast guarantee then run these BT broadband diagnostics: https://www.bt.com/help/report-and-track-your-bt-problem it’ll tell you if you need to contact BT or if you need to book an engineer and if an engineer is required will allow you to self serve.

If your speed is fine over wired connect, this means the issue is over wifi only so this means you either have congestion either on the same channel as other hubs and routers or with your own devices you can either attempt to turn on automatic channel scanning to auto pick a free channel or you can pick a fixed channel, this can be done via the hub manager.

if the hub turns orange this shows that the disconnect is from the network if the hub remains blue this is just where the connection drops between the hub and the device, if it drops to orange this could be an external fault or the cabinet is over subscribed.

If the speed keeps dropping at the same time every day on peak times this is normally due to over subscribing customers in a certain area.

Do you know what service your broadband uses as this could help with further troubleshooting;

ADSL - Full Copper Service up to 24mbps.

FTTC - Fibre To The Cabinet then Copper to your Premise up to 80mbps.

SOGEA - this is essentially FTTC without landline which is Standalone Broadband.

G.FAST - this is also FTTC still requires a copper landline with a light booster it looks like a mini cabinet next to the main cabinet up to 330mbps.

FTTP - Fibre To The Premise known as Full Fibre with speeds up to 1,000mbps with BT and 1,600mbps with NEW EE.

I hope this helps!

Hope this helps! 🙂 If you like my reply and
want to say thanks for the helpful answer
then please click on the Kudos on left hand
side 😉 also if I answers your question correctly please let us know by clicking on Mark as Accepted Solution 😄
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

You should never be prompted to log in to broadband. Are you maybe connecting to the EE WiFi network by mistake?
Message 5 of 7

Fell on this discussion by accident. My wifi (internet) is very erratic the last week till today it has really gone poor. I have tried everything with the engineer, no improvement. Now I have also seen EE appearing in my wifi page and was asked to sign in to EE. Is it possible the two are playing havoc with my broadband? Unintentiknally of course. Really wasted my time this xmas.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Hello,

What your seeing is EE Wi-FI formerly known as BT Wi-FI it’s essentially a public hotspot, more BT Family Hubs in the area stronger the hotspots, every Hub has a public hotspot in it totally secure and you are only required a login because it’s a paid service unless you have BT Family Internet.

This has no bearing whatsoever on your actual Broadband service so it’s extremely unlikely that it would be the reason for the dropping connection.

If you recheck my first post it has a few great tips and extra information on it.

hope this helps.

Hope this helps! 🙂 If you like my reply and
want to say thanks for the helpful answer
then please click on the Kudos on left hand
side 😉 also if I answers your question correctly please let us know by clicking on Mark as Accepted Solution 😄
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

@DeeMac wrote:

Really hoping someone can advise because BT are not helping.  I am a BT customer and my BT broadband drops out constantly and it prompts me to sign in through EE.  I do this and the connection continually drops.

Can anyone help?

You should not need to be logging onto your broadband except for the first time you connected to it.

To start with a clean page carry out a factory reset of the BThub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. 

While this is happening check the label or pull out card on the Hub and it will show the SSiD (Name of the hub). It will be something like BT-xxxxx . It will also show the Password for the wireless signal if you are connecting a wireless device.

Once the hub has restarted after the factory reset you need to get your device that you are wanting to connect to scan for wireless signals. Look for the one with your Hub's SSiD (Name) and select it. You will now be prompted for a Password. This is when you enter the wireless password on the Hub's label.

If there is a small box asking if you want to connect automatically, tick the box.

You should now be connected to your broadband. If you have other wireless devices just follow the same procedure to connect them.

See the attached link which may help.

How to set up BT Smart Hub 2 | Step by step guide | BT Help | BT Help

If you are still being disconnected after doing the above post back for further assistance.

0 Ratings