cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newoyevoto
Message 1 of 5

Re: Packet loss

Hi,

I seem to be experiencing packet loss / ping spikes as well, and googled the hop where there was an issue and got this thread. Thought i'd tag on rather than making a new post?

This all started yesterday, before that it was fine. It's happening on wired and wireless connections. 

Here's the pingplotter for google.com

Capture.PNG

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

I have moved your post to this new thread, so you can get personal help from the community or moderators, so please watch this thread for updates.

Its best not to hijack an existing post, as it causes confusion, and the cause of your problem could be totally different.

Thanks

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Noise will cause transmission errors, and will affect response times.

newoyevoto
Message 4 of 5

Thank you for moving the post!

I don't have a landline so can't check that unfortunatley. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

@newoyevoto wrote:

Thank you for moving the post!

I don't have a landline so can't check that unfortunatley. 

A landline comes with your broadband.

There are quite a few people that do not plug a house phone in to check dial tone every so often. This can cause issues with broadband. Also, if one wire has become disconnected (quite common), then that will cause no broadband,  constant disconnections, or a very low speed.

The solution is to get hold of a cheap (less than £5) wired phone, and plug it into the phone socket to see if you get dial tone.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

Also bear in mind Line rental is included in all BT packages

0 Ratings