Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
neophyte1969
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Re: Poor Broadband Service & Poor BT Support

Go to solution

Can someone please advise on an alternative to the BT home hub 3? I've been having a lot of problems with my wired connection. When I had ADSL, I only had one box. Now I've got two. BT say one is the modem and one is the hub. Can someone please explain? What's the difference between a modem, a router, a hub and a switch? What should I buy to get the darned thing working?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 15

Go to solution

A modem converts the analogue signal from the cabinet to digital.

A router connects 2 networks together.

A hub is BT's pet name for a router.

A switch splits a network connection into 4, 8, or more connections.

You are looking for another router to replace the hub, they used to be referred to as "cable routers" 🙂

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
neophyte1969
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution

Thank you for that. It seems bad that I might need to splash out on a new router to get it working. On a legal front, I'm tempted to be stroppy with BT and tell them they've supplied a product that is not fit for purpse and so they should put it right at their expense.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution
All they will do is provide you with a replacement. It may be faulty after all.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
neophyte1969
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

They've already done that. The hub and cables are all new now, but the problem is still there. Looking at these forums, it seems that other people have been having trouble with their hubs as wll. I suspect BT are  supplying cheap rubbish.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution
it would help if you posted more detail of the problem then we can try and help further
0 Ratings
neophyte1969
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

I've got a desktop PC running Windows 8. The new hub BT have recently sent me is a homehub 3.0. They've also sent me new cables. It will connect with an ethernet cable for a few minutes and then fails. The diagnostic on the PC says something along the lines of it can't assign a valid IP address. I've spent several hours on the phone to BT technical support trying to sort this out. I also took the computer back to PC World. The wired connection worked fine in their shop. I hope I've explained this well enough.

0 Ratings
Chris_Hunter
Beginner
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution
Please DO get stroppy - they refuse to admit that there's a serious problem with the HH3. I have NEVER seen one that works properly!
0 Ratings
Chris_Hunter
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Don't accept another HH from BT - it WILL be faulty - they all are! The next one will be just as bad, though might have a different fault.

0 Ratings
Chris_Hunter
Beginner
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

That's almost exactly the same problem I've seen on most of the HH3s I've had the misfortune to tangle with.  I've replaced my HH3 with a cheap TP-Link wireless router, but I think I want more facilities than this can provide, so I'm going to upgrade to a Draytek or a Cisco unit.  That's what BT should be providing instead of the cheap and shoddy HH rubbish.

This is doing NOTHING for their reputation and the incomprehensible, clueless Indian call centre staff are bearing the brunt of all this frustration.

When will BT admit that there's a serious problem with these things?

0 Ratings