cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Re: Upload speed not changed after I've upgraded from 500 to 900mbps

I've got exactly the same issue. Upgraded from 500 to 900 2 days ago and whilst download speeds are as expected, my upload speeds are the same stuck around 50-60Mb as they were on the 500 package. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Hi, @dazza76 I've started your own thread as this is usually a problem with the upload profile not changing in the Smart Hub 2 after the upgrade and we can manually send that out to the hub. However, I've noticed you've previously mentioned that you were using a third-party router. Is that still the case or do you have a BT Smart Hub 2 connected now?

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Thanks Neil. That's correct. I'm using a 3rd party mesh system as the smarthub 2 system just wasn't cutting it and didn't have the flexibility I needed. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

So last night I decided to see if I was getting my full expected speeds as far as the ONT to see if it was an issue with my equipment or with the line. I disconnected my router and connected a device directly into the ONT and ran a test. The download was only 200mbps and the upload was a mere 10mbps. When I plugged the router back in the download was back up to 700+ and the upload 60. Can anyone explain that???

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Whatever you were connecting, was probably not auto-negotiating the correct speed or duplex mode. Its a common issue between mismatched Ethernet interfaces, especially at high speeds, where the Ethernet link pulse is very short.

Look up Duplex Mismatch on Google.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Thanks for that Keith. Makes sense. I don't know how to change the autonegotiation settings on devices or even if it's possible on the Orbi router.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

@dazza76 wrote:

Thanks for that Keith. Makes sense. I don't know how to change the autonegotiation settings on devices or even if it's possible on the Orbi router.

There is probably no option to lock the Ethernet speed, like there is on a PC.

If you have a spare 1Gb Ethernet switch, then connect that between the ONT and the Orbi. Ethernet switches are very good at fixing this sort of issue. You would not be able to use any other ports on the switch, but it should fix the issue.

Make sure you have a fully wired Ethernet cable between the devices.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Thought I'd provide and update. I ended up opening up a formal complaint about this. Dragged on for about 10 days until I finally got the callback today. Turns out there was no issue with my line and that the lack of increase in uploads is just the way it is. Regardless of what my expected upload speed states, BT only guarantee 10mbps(!) for upload speeds and as I get around 50-60 they won't do anything about it. They claimed there's nothing they can do as the line is fine. 

Disappointed to say the least. 

0 Ratings