cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
delair
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Re: poor evening speed

I am also from Barrow-in-Furness. Had infinity 2 installed last wednesday and consistently getting about 35-44 download during the day and about 4 during the evening. The engineer who installed infinity said he tested and I should be getting 80 when he installed it. I know a period of 10 days for stabilisation is mentioned but I can't honestky see the speed increasing to 80 after 10 days. My question is can I am paying for infinity 2 when I am getting infinity 1 speed. Is it possible for me to downgrade without financial penalty. I used to get 1.5 beofre and so this is faster that I have ever got before

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

delair

What was your estimated speed before you signed up for Infinity?  I would not necessarily believe what the engineer told you. The max you would get on Infinity 2 with a perfect line, close to the cabinet would be download 78Mbps.

You can check here to get the estimate.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Because of the apparent problems at the Barrow in Furness exchange it will be difficult at this time to establish how good or bad your speed will be. Once the exchange problem has been fixed it may well be that your speed will improve particularly in the evening.

As regards down grading to Infinity 1. As you have said you are getting between 35-44 Mbps you are getting over the 38Mbps cap on Infinty 1 so BT might say you are getting Infinity 2 speeds.

0 Ratings
delair
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

When I checked this is what I got

FTTC Range A (Clean)8079.92020--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)8073.92019--Available

Hope that makes sense.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Yes it makes sense. You should be able to get very good speeds, between 73.9Mbps and 80Mbps although as I said you will never get the 80Mbps because of the 78Mbps cap.

Because you are in your "training" period there will not be a lot, if anything that can be done to improve this at present. Your speeds would normally fluctuate during this period and then stabilise at a speed near to your estimated range.

An added problem is because of the ongoing problem at the exchange it will make it difficult to see if any thing suggested actually works and it could be keeping your speeds low.

I would suggest that there is nothing to be done at present but once the exchange problem is sorted out, if your speed is still poor, post back and I'm sure there will be some way of improving it.

0 Ratings
delair
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Thanks. I will just have to wait and see what happens. The cabinet is about 150 yards from my house and my house is the 2nd one in the estate if that makes sense. I 'm hoping to get in the 70's once the problem is resolved. Thanks again.

0 Ratings
rorz112
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

Hi delair, I don't think you have to wait for the 10 day period. I installed Infinity 2 last Thursday and was getting maximum speeds of 38 mbps although I was promised 69.8 mbps at sign up. I only did a speedtest after the engineer left my house, which was a mistake, because I obviously would have made him fix it if I had noticed. I definitely wasn't willing to wait 10 days for something I know wouldn't get fixed with time. So I called customer support and he told me to wait til midnight and then restart the router. I tried that and it didn't work. So the next day on Friday I spoke to customer support again and told them I'm getting Infinity 1 speeds and I signed up for Infinity 2. They didn't mention anything about a 3 or 10 day period, he just booked me another engineer apointment who came on Monday, tested my line and indeed found a network problem (funny the first engineer didn't mention anything). He disappeared for half an hour and when he came back and finished everything, I did a speed test and was getting 59 mbps. Still not 69 mbps but much better than 38 mbps.

I suggest you call them and insist on an engineer visit. Tell them you paid for Infinity 2 and you're getting Infinity 1 and well below your estimate. If you were estimated 70+ on sign up, then you should have had 70s from day one. Just before you call, make sure the problem isn't from your side though. That is, make sure you're doing speedtests through a cable not wireless. Unless your wireless card is an N or AC card with connections speeds over 100 mbps. My cabinet is 300 m away and I'm getting 59 so you should definitely be in the 70s. Give them a call and let us know what happens. Dont take any **bleep**! 🙂 Keep calling/chatting.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Hi rorz112

while you advice might work and if delair want to try it I would not advise against it, but you have not taken into account that the exchange delair is on is having major problems at the moment and until resolved it is effecting the speeds of all the BT customers on that exchange.

0 Ratings
stewdaviesuk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Barrow has an issue as does Furness. There is apparently congestion on the network when everyone comes home from school and work. Its reported over many ISP forums, expected fix was 10th Feb

0 Ratings
cheekycharly
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

It was 10th Feb and shortly before that date they installed another server to handle things which brought most peoples connections from less than 1MB in an evening to usually around 10 - 25mb's.

Still speed ranges acheved from either ADSL2+ or Bonded.

PANTS is the word and there has been no mention of a fix since.

0 Ratings