Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PeterT2
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

Re-setup questions/disconnections

Hi,

I recently had to factory reset my router (Not a BThomehub) and i had a few questions regarding the setup process as it has been awhile since i last did this.

During the setup i was asked to enter a username and password, i looked online and found the below which look to have worked correctly:

Username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Password: BT

I believe the above to be correct? however i wanted to know what would happen if i got these details wrong? say i typed it wrong, or added a space at the end maybe? could i somehow connect to a potential "fake" ISP, i suppose similar to webpages with a slightly different name? Or can my line only go to BT and i shouldnt worry? Its been on my mind and wanted to put it to rest.

Second, i managed to get the router configured to what i believe should be fine, and have the internet working, however that evening i was online and i seemed to lose connection twice (10 or so minutes between maybe?) after this it seemed fine. I wont know until tonight if it continues but i am wondering if anyone could advise what might cause this? i previously never had connection issues and im worried i have either misconfigured something or if this might be related to the fact i "reconnected" to BT or something along those lines?

Hopefully you can assist me with this,

Kind regards,

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Re-setup questions/disconnections

Username and password are correct, they are generic for BT customers as the authentication is against your phone line. If the details were entered incorrectly you wouldn't get access to the internet, no need to worry about fake ISPs etc.

The disconnections could have been for any number of reasons, just keep an eye on things and post back if they continue to happen.

0 Ratings
PeterT2
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

Hi,

Thank you for the response,

Just to confirm it’s not possible to connect to the wrong/fake ISP, so is my line “fixed” to BT?

As requested I monitored the connection last night, unfortunately I am still getting the disconnections, i noticed that when I first turned on my computer it was connected to the network but no internet connection. I restarted the computer and it had internet. I connected onto a game I play and it immediately gave me a connection error message. I attempted again and everything seemed fine for most of the evening but then I did disconnect once again a few hours later.

I am unable to confirm if the internet light on the router goes off as it is in a different room. I also have not been able to test any other devices at the time of the connection issue, but will try tonight.

Can you please assist me in resolving this? as I said before I never had any connection problems like this before I reset the router and unfortunately it is causing me big issues. Could it be an issue with just my computer?

Kind regards,

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

Correct, it is not possible to connect to a 'fake' ISP by using incorrect credentials, your line is configured to BT.

You need to look at your router logs to see if you are losing DSL connection.

0 Ratings
PeterT2
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

Thanks for the response,

Im not too familiar with looking at such logs but i will try, its strange because its the same hardware as before. Given that this started once the router was reset i imagine the issue has to be on my side, so not worth speaking directly with BT? to check the line or anything like that?

Open to other suggestions to try this evening as well,

Kind regards,

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Until you inspect the logs, it is not possible to determine where the problem lies. Are you connecting to the router via wifi or Ethernet?  If wifi, resetting the router would perhaps have resulted in a different channel being selected which could be subject to interference, you could experiment using different channels. If your router supports it, channel13 is a good option as that is rarely used.

0 Ratings
PeterT2
Beginner
Message 7 of 18

Hi,

Sorry i should have said, it is an Ethernet connection, not WiFi.

I will take a look into the router logs after a disconnection and see if i spot anything.

Come to think of it the only difference i can think of would of been a firmware update i ran for the router.

Kind regards,

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 18

Welcome to the community @PeterT2  and thanks for posting.

Sorry you're having a few problems with your connection. Have you checked for any noise on your line? Can you try that by connecting to the test socket and dialling 17070 option 2? Thanks @licquorice for helping so far.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
PeterT2
Beginner
Message 9 of 18

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the response,

I have not tried this no, I can give it a try tonight though and let you know the results.

Just a general question here, would you guys expect such disconnections after a router reset and reconfiguration?

Kind regards,

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

In short, no.

0 Ratings