cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
somniac
Aspiring Expert
Message 41 of 87

Re: Read If you have Aluminium(even if length is 300m) and thinking of getting Infinity2

Go to solution

I don't really get this "up to" lark.

On my old BT adsl connection, my estimate of speed on the confirmation letter said " between 5,5 and 12 mb"

But the Infinity one says "your speed should be 38mps (or whatever it is) no up to or between about it.

0 Ratings
phonic
Contributor
Message 42 of 87

Re: Read If you have Aluminium(even if length is 300m) and thinking of getting Infinity2

Go to solution

it may not say UP TO, but they hold you to it when you complain about the wonderful speed and service you are getting.

I just got a noise spike of 50,000 crc, and dropped my line again. I would not mind with I was over 1km away, but 300m and get worse than adsl2+ is bad, and the unwillingness of OpenReach to replace faulty Ali or worse still BT not even warning customers on Ali of the known issues before locking them into a long contract is just appalling.

0 Ratings
sandfire
Contributor
Message 43 of 87

Go to solution
This sounds like a line fault, regardless of what element makes up the cable.
Have you reported a line fault?
--

To hide this sig go to http://community.bt.com/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-preferences and uncheck 'View signatures in posts'.

0 Ratings
phonic
Contributor
Message 44 of 87

Go to solution

I've had 5 engineers, they fixed as much as they can, but they they all said off the record "it's never going to be good with the old Ali you've got. all of the pairs are as bad, but head office is never going to replace 300m of cable. If we had our way, we would replace all Ali with copper, as we see the issues...it's not going to happen though"

The Engineers know, but OR pass on to retail that "it's as good as it can get and all it fine our end...it's a customer through put issue, not us...."  As if...

I noticed one interesting thing that if i remove the new filtered face plate/9that they've already replaced to one at reads bt business), and just plug the modem into the master socket, I can obtain higher speeds. about 4.5mb higher.

0 Ratings
phonic
Contributor
Message 45 of 87

Go to solution

...even without the filter,it does not stop the noise spikes hitting record levels this evening.

0 Ratings
lilmighty
Contributor
Message 46 of 87

Go to solution
it will only get worse mate unless they replace the aluminium, just keep them and get ur neighbours to complain aswel...
0 Ratings
phonic
Contributor
Message 47 of 87

Go to solution

unfortunately for me, it will be some time before my neighbors notice, as they are on virgin media and sky(none fibre) broadband. It would seem that I'm the odd one out at the moment....

BT should ensure the loop in areas selected for fttc are in good shape before allowing orders. This is not next generation, it's like we're going backward, but pay more...  I guess they are hoping we will do the job for them by upgrading to fttp next year.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
ptan
Aspiring Expert
Message 48 of 87

Go to solution

@phonic wrote:

unfortunately for me, it will be some time before my neighbors notice, as they are on virgin media and sky(none fibre) broadband. It would seem that I'm the odd one out at the moment....

BT should ensure the loop in areas selected for fttc are in good shape before allowing orders. This is not next generation, it's like we're going backward, but pay more...  I guess they are hoping we will do the job for them by upgrading to fttp next year.

Hi phonic

I totally agree with you.

I am one of the only ones in my road to be on Infinity2 and have ali in my service. I have voiced complaints with BT about ali etc. but as you have also found, nobody is going to pick up the gauntlet.

It is shocking that they advertise superfast speeds but there are going to be many people who may never actually get it.

ptan

0 Ratings
evohicks
Aspiring Contributor
Message 49 of 87

Go to solution

I have just found out I have aluminium cabling. Had Infinity installed about 6 weeks ago, initially the speed was really good starting at 76mb but gradually went down into the 60's, which I would have been happy with. A couple of weeks ago we then had a fault in the area which affected alot of users (alot of people will remember this) then as it didn't give my area code as in the affected area, I rebooted my router/openreach box many times thus lowering the IP profile and after that my speed was around 38mb constantly.

Openreach engineers came out last Thursday and said I had aluminium cabling and I was not going to reach any higher speeds(even though I was getting alot higher before the fault in my area) they said they had reset the IP profile to a stable 49mb  but this wasn't the case as it was exactly the same speed (38mb) as before they came.

I wasn't told about the aluminium cable before I signed up to Infinity, the chances of them renewing it are pretty slim so I stand the same as alot of people with mis-informed information before I signed.

0 Ratings
sandfire
Contributor
Message 50 of 87

Go to solution
Sounds like they replaced the copper cable with aluminium.
--

To hide this sig go to http://community.bt.com/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/user-preferences and uncheck 'View signatures in posts'.

0 Ratings