cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 61 of 87

Re: Read If you have Aluminium(even if length is 300m) and thinking of getting Infinity2

Go to solution

'you need to campaign against openreach who own the lines not bt retail the isp'

Campaign against Openreach, what to spend hundreds of thousands pounds, if not millions to replace all the aliminium cabling? That made me chuckle.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 62 of 87

Re: Read If you have Aluminium(even if length is 300m) and thinking of getting Infinity2

Go to solution
especially when you know its cheaper to report the line fault and get it fixed 🙂
0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 63 of 87

Go to solution

With the spiralling cost of copper aliminium isn't going anywhere, infact I wouldn't be surprised if like in the 1970's it starts to make a come back.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 64 of 87

Go to solution
when they swap the network over to fibre phones they can rip out all that old copper and reuse it
0 Ratings
Highlighted
asbokid
Aspiring Contributor
Message 65 of 87

Go to solution

I wouldn't be surprised if like in the 1970's it starts to make a come back.

Maybe like crysotile asbestos. Not so bad after all?

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 66 of 87

Go to solution

'when they swap the network over to fibre phones they can rip out all that old copper and reuse it'

If they did a national roll out of Fibre only Exchanges then there would be no need for the copper, with the exception of some internal cabling at the customers house.

Also I'm not saying you're saying it but I come across a lot of people who say when you lay the FTTC why not remove the old copper exchange side cable?

Erm well, for a start your telephone service still runs on that copper line all the way back to the exchange still, the fibre is purely there for thebroadband. Secondly, for Openreach to start removing 1000+ pairs of underground network cabling would mean every single customer fed from that cable would forced to either switch to a fibre product of go without. If they did that then everyone would start crying; 'monopoly, monopoly, monopoly'.

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 67 of 87

Go to solution

The main problem is that although the DSLAMs they are fitting can do telephony as well as broadband, they can only serve 32 people per card. Smaller ones fit 4 cards serving 128 lines and the bigger ones having 9 cards serving only 288 (think thats correct). They would have to provide a second or third cab to cover the removal of all that exchange side cable. Wouldnt be economical to do that. Fibre only is the way forward.

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 68 of 87

Go to solution

@Deathtrap3000

I mentioned this on another post, I am sure ECI DSLAM's, the smaller ones can serve something like 170(ish). Not sure of the exact figure but I am gonna find out. Sure its more than 128 though because there is a PCP in my area that has 150 E and D Sides tie cables to an ECI DSLAM.

But like you said though, Fibre Only Exchanges are the only way forward, either that or Openreach end up having small clusters of 4 or 5 RDSLAM's around a PCP or they build mini type Exchanges at every PCP. With the fuss some people are kicking up about the RDSLAM's though I doubt that would ever happen.

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 69 of 87

Go to solution

Im not sure about the ECI dslams as we dont have those in my area. But pretty sure about the Huawei ones. It would be a nightmare planning a dslam cluster. Theres places in my area where there are two cabs next to each other and two dlslams next to them. That section of road would be full of cabs.

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 70 of 87

Go to solution

Couldn't find out much, turns out there are 3 types of RDSLAM;

Huawei 288

Huawei 96 (never seen one of those anywhere)

ECI 128/256

I'm guessing the number at the end is for how many it serves. Initially I though there were two types of ECI, one that serves 128 like you said and maybe another that serves 256 but then I just read somewhere about each line connected to an ECI needs two of the ports inside it, which would of course mean only 128 but then the site didn't go into a lot of detail so I am still none the wiser?

0 Ratings