cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phonic
Contributor
Message 1 of 87

Read If you have Aluminium(even if length is 300m) and thinking of getting Infinity2

Go to solution

Did you know on BT Infinity2 your speeds can be 20mb(sync not throughput), out of the 60 or 70mb estimated and they will say it's normal, as it's an up to service.  The same goes for your upload speed, you may have got 18mb before a fault, and after fault fixed 9.5mb, but they will not do anything to rectify the fault as... you guessed it: it's an up to service.

So, If you have Aluminium(even if length is 300m like my line) stay well clear of making a new contract with BT, as they will hold you to it no matter how bad your speeds are. I got 10 million errors in 5 hours after they said they have fixed it, then the next day 345,120 crc errors.

Next week it will rain again, and I assume my line will drop multi times, and speeds even lower due to DLM..but you see I must live with it, as there is no fault(so they say).... it's an up to service. I even asked the question: so, the up to is 0-20 upload, and if I get 0.5 or even 0. that's ok, as it's up to?  he said yes! What Zero(0)???

In 18 years in the business, I never seen so much incompetence from such a big company, from support staff asking you to wave cat5 cables in the air(thinking it will solve the issue), to level 2 support and management staff that can't understand the difference from throughput to line speed, and frequently get them confused(maybe to pass the problem on to the customer's equipment?

The most frustrating thing about BT is that the sales guys sell Infinty2 has better uploads and better service than virgin media, but once you sign up.... they just don't give a **bleep** as you're under contract now, and hide before the "UP TO" no matter the problem.

86 REPLIES 86
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 87

Re: Read If you have Aluminium(even if length is 300m) and thinking of getting Infinity2

Go to solution
how do you know if you have aluminium?
0 Ratings
phonic
Contributor
Message 3 of 87

Re: Read If you have Aluminium(even if length is 300m) and thinking of getting Infinity2

Go to solution

This is funny....I've just been asked to co-host do a weekly ISP review and advice for a tech. programme being produced to be aired in September.

So, if you have BT Infinity2 and are on aluminium cable, please post your experiences here

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 87

Go to solution
What speeds were you getting on ADSL?

You know you can always go back to ADSL if you're not happy with FTTC...
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
phonic
Contributor
Message 5 of 87

Go to solution

Aluminium was introduced late 70s/early 80s due to copper prices and by 1986 had proved to be a maintenance nightmare. Off the record all 5 Engineers that visited agreed with me, that the 30+ years old aluminium cable is bad, and needs replacing, but head office will never pay to have 300m of cable replaced.  If you asked them directly, they would deny it's the cost. 

0 Ratings
phonic
Contributor
Message 6 of 87

Go to solution

Hi Weeby,

I was with BE Broadband, and getting a very stable ADSL2+ connection of 11mb, and 1.3Mb upload.

I could leave it uploading for a week, without a single re-sync.

It would seem jumping from 2.2Mhz to 17Mhz just opens the floodgates to even more interference on aluminium.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 87

Go to solution
doesnt sound like ali
what was your attenuation on adsl2+? snr?
0 Ratings
phonic
Contributor
Message 8 of 87

Go to solution

It is Aluminium, we've seen it when remaking the joints. I'm on a 70Ali(could not find any copper), and it's not in a good way as well. it's routed direct down the hill, total length 300m. but as it's aluminium the attenuation shows more than double. I noticed interferance at 1.6MHz that was traced up the hill, but BT does not like Engineers on a job too long, so the Englineer was called off before he could trace it back.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 9 of 87

Go to solution
what was your attenuation on adsl2+? snr?
0 Ratings
phonic
Contributor
Message 10 of 87

Go to solution

I can't remember the atten. but I set the SNR low at 3db. The line length was over a mile.

0 Ratings