cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Expert
Message 31 of 87

Re: Read If you have Aluminium(even if length is 300m) and thinking of getting Infinity2

Go to solution
you appear to be suggesting that ali attenuates high frequencies
if that were true is should be quite obvious in a bin analysis and affect the overall attenuation of a line
got any proof?
0 Ratings
phonic
Contributor
Message 32 of 87

Re: Read If you have Aluminium(even if length is 300m) and thinking of getting Infinity2

Go to solution
my line has a line length of 300m, but atten. Is over double that it should be for the length. The engineers on the ground know about the issues with Ali, and agrees I would get max. speed if it was copper, but to quote the last engineer " head office will never agree to replace it, as they don't see the need. If we engineers had our way, we would replace the lot.". But officially line tested, set to max. line can take.....
0 Ratings
notoriousdbp
Recognised Expert
Message 33 of 87

Go to solution

I was down to 20 Meg sync having dropped from 40 Meg Sync in April.  I pointed this out to @BTCare on Twitter who sent an engineer round.  The engineer spent 3 hours on the case during which he found there was a length of Aluminium from the last telegraph pole to the cabinet.  He replaced it with copper with impressive results

---Remember to mark as 'solved' and give stars when you like a post---
0 Ratings
Wizen
Aspiring Expert
Message 34 of 87

Go to solution

At least we'll hopefully have the chance to upgrade to full FTTP within the next few years. I suspect that my cabling might be aluminium, or at least poorly done (it's a relatively new 2000/2001 development). I was estimated to get over 60Mb download, and while most people receive over their estimates, I can only get around 48Mb, and that's with plenty of errors and full interleaving applied. If and when the opportunity to upgrade to FTTP/FTTH becomes available for Infinity customers, I'll be there. To me, it's a more worthy investment than spending £600 on a Sky HD World suscription or something similar for a year.

0 Ratings
phonic
Contributor
Message 35 of 87

Go to solution

Wizen,  Do you know your line length to the CAB?

0 Ratings
phonic
Contributor
Message 36 of 87

Go to solution

notoriousdbp,  your speeds look like my stats on a good day.  How close are you from the CAB(Line length)?

0 Ratings
phonic
Contributor
Message 37 of 87

Go to solution

If would appear BT Retail just want me to forget about it, and be happy with what I have..... 

Quote: " Your speeds are good, you should be happy, as some people don't have that sort of speed. it's within acceptable limits, and nothing else can be done."  

The manager could not even answer as to why my speeds are not back to pre-fault speeds, but kept repeating the same quote... This is madness! if I cancel, I would be faced with the full cancelation fee, as they don’t promise or guarantee, but as an “up to” service.

also be warned upload speed does not even have a minimum speed(so the UK customer care manager says), so if you get 20mb, and have a fault, and goes down to 12, don’t expect pre-fault speeds again, as they don’t promise anything.

Can someone tell me if their are any others way to connect level 2 support? via live chat, twitter, e-mail?  I think if they took the time to see in writing what I’m talking about, it would help them understand the issue more clearly.

0 Ratings
notoriousdbp
Recognised Expert
Message 38 of 87

Go to solution

@phonic wrote:

notoriousdbp,  your speeds look like my stats on a good day.  How close are you from the CAB(Line length)?

About half a kilometre according to the engineer

0 Ratings
notoriousdbp
Recognised Expert
Message 39 of 87

Go to solution

@phonic wrote:

Can someone tell me if their are any others way to connect level 2 support? via live chat, twitter, e-mail?  I think if they took the time to see in writing what I’m talking about, it would help them understand the issue more clearly.

@I only ever tweet @BTCare now when I need help the support from that team is outstanding

0 Ratings
lilmighty
Contributor
Message 40 of 87

Go to solution
my hole street suffers from ali and even with this new fibre people are still getting millions of errors and constant drop-outs... nowt will be done, just wish bt would make people aware of ali and the problems u will get
0 Ratings