cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 71 of 87

Re: Read If you have Aluminium(even if length is 300m) and thinking of getting Infinity2

Go to solution

I gave up a while ago. All sources on the net seem to give conflicting info. I guess next time im near one ill have to go and count how many ports it has. Smiley Tongue

0 Ratings
asbokid
Aspiring Contributor
Message 72 of 87

Re: Read If you have Aluminium(even if length is 300m) and thinking of getting Infinity2

Go to solution

In the case of the Huawei MA5616 MSAN (known as a "mini-DSLAM"), the port density of the Huawei VDSL2 linecards is determined by the controller board in the MSAN.

There are two Central Controller Units for the MA5616, the CCUB and CCUC.   CCUB supports VDSL2 Profile 17a linecards with up to 24 VDSL2 subscriber channels. These are the H835VDSH linecards, apparently the most common linecard used by Openreach today.  Huawei also supplies Profile 30a (30MHz) linecards with lower port densities. Some of the 30a cards have just 16 ports (e.g. the H835VDGE).   Not sure that Openreach uses any of these cards since they are only useful for very short loops. Also different Profile cards cannot be mixed in the same DSLAM (crosstalk and/or controller limitations) so you can't have one linecard configured for Profile 17a and another for Profile 30a.

However, the newer Huawei MA5616 MSAN controller unit, the CCUC, can use the latest H835VDMM Profile 17a linecards. These cards provide 48 VDSL2 subscriber ports. The MA5616 MSAN has four slots for linecards.  So in theory, the MA5616 which fits into the smaller cabinet supports 48 x 4 = 192 VDSL2 subscribers.

Huawei drives the MA5616 with a dedicated "communication processor" the Freescale MPC8321, a PowerPC RISC core clocked at 333MHz.  Maybe that is a limitation preventing even higher port densities?

Not sure about the ECI.  Reading the sales blurb on the ECI Hi-FOCuS M41 "mini shelf" MSAN and it's all a bit opaque. ECI talks of "up to 256" subscriber lines per M41 but do they mean VDSL2 or ADSL2, or VoIP (T1) lines?   The port density of linecards is increasing, so maybe the sales blurb isn't keeping up with production?  Doesn't seem very likely though.

cheers, a

EDITx2:  bad sums Smiley Surprised

0 Ratings
phonic
Contributor
Message 73 of 87

Go to solution

hi ptan

The most annoying thing is BTOR Engineers know, but will not force the issue with OR Head Office, so BT OR just pass on that it's the customer's equipment. The last 2 engineers told me that they can't do anything more, but will take more readings, and put on the report that the line can't reach it's estimated speed any longer.  He hoped it would help me get out of the contract.....  

It did not help as BT Retail  customer care manager will not let me go, and held me to this UP TO rubbish. It's interesting that he would not answer the question "Why can't my line reach it's estimated speeds anymore after saying it's now fixed?"

Next year march, we have national FTTP on-demand rollout, but can anyone confirm it will be available to ALL houses in a FTTC area? and costing?  I think they should upgrade us for free.

0 Ratings
plainview
Recognised Expert
Message 74 of 87

Go to solution

'Next year march, we have national FTTP on-demand rollout, but can anyone confirm it will be available to ALL houses in a FTTC area? and costing?  I think they should upgrade us for free.'

There will be an option for those on FTTC to upgrade to FTTP on demand, no pricing has yet been released by Openreach though. Also I think it will be more aimed at businesses rather than residential customers.

You can forget about getting it free though as contrary to popular belief Openreach aren't a Social Service.

ptan
Aspiring Expert
Message 75 of 87

Go to solution

@phonic wrote:

hi @ptan

The most annoying thing is BTOR Engineers know, but will not force the issue with OR Head Office, so BT OR just pass on that it's the customer's equipment. The last 2 engineers told me that they can't do anything more, but will take more readings, and put on the report that the line can't reach it's estimated speed any longer.  He hoped it would help me get out of the contract.....  

It did not help as BT Retail  customer care manager will not let me go, and held me to this UP TO rubbish. It's interesting that he would not answer the question "Why can't my line reach it's estimated speeds anymore after saying it's now fixed?"

Next year march, we have national FTTP on-demand rollout, but can anyone confirm it will be available to ALL houses in a FTTC area? and costing?  I think they should upgrade us for free.

Hi phonic

It's a kind of like it or lump it situation. As I said in my letter to BT, they should be very careful of how they market superfast infinity. Some people have said to me "Just think of the poor people out in rural areas who will never get Infinity and think yourself lucky that you can at least get it". That is a valid argument except that when you are kind of led into believing that you will get it when you live in a town, it is often just as frustrating when you don't!

My friend in Maidstone has just been estimated to get 65.9mb down. He and I are waiting for the install next week to see if he gets it. Let's hope he will but any ali on the service... ah... well.. mmm.

ptan

0 Ratings
phonic
Contributor
Message 76 of 87

Go to solution

@ptan wrote:

@phonic wrote:

hi @ptan

Hi phonic

It's a kind of like it or lump it situation. As I said in my letter to BT, they should be very careful of how they market superfast infinity. Some people have said to me "Just think of the poor people out in rural areas who will never get Infinity and think yourself lucky that you can at least get it". That is a valid argument except that when you are kind of led into believing that you will get it when you live in a town, it is often just as frustrating when you don't!

My friend in Maidstone has just been estimated to get 65.9mb down. He and I are waiting for the install next week to see if he gets it. Let's hope he will but any ali on the service... ah... well.. mmm.

ptan

ptan,  can you inbox me the letter your sent to BT and to whome it was sent?

0 Ratings
ptan
Aspiring Expert
Message 77 of 87

Go to solution

Done.

0 Ratings
phonic
Contributor
Message 78 of 87

Go to solution
Thanks. check your inbox.
0 Ratings
phonic
Contributor
Message 79 of 87

Go to solution

@Bullitt wrote:
you appear to be suggesting that ali attenuates high frequencies
if that were true is should be quite obvious in a bin analysis and affect the overall attenuation of a line
got any proof?

Bullitt, It seems I've missed your posts and others.

Visual inspection did verify Ali as exchange records clearly stated as well, and tests shown well over over double attenuation for that line length. All pairs are as bad as each other, put on middle pair with best balance, remade all joints, even at CAB..... and it's worse!

You maybe interested that I have found interference at 1.6Mhz. I asked the last engineer to trace it back, but replied that he's not a broadband engineer, and the last time he worked on broadband was over 8 years ago. That can’t right. Sounded more like an excuse to avoid breaking it down to find the interference.

0 Ratings
phonic
Contributor
Message 80 of 87

Go to solution

Just been comparing speeds:  BT Infinity2 vs Three Mobile Broadband:

bt.png

three.png

0 Ratings