cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phonic
Contributor
Message 81 of 87

Re: Read If you have Aluminium(even if length is 300m) and thinking of getting Infinity2

Go to solution

I've finally moved away from BT and very happy with my current service, but I will say this, if you intend to stick with BT, then use the MODs.  They do a much better job at resolving issues then caling BT India support.

0 Ratings
Gedfan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 82 of 87

Re: Read If you have Aluminium(even if length is 300m) and thinking of getting Infinity2

Go to solution

How do we contact the mods please? My speed (on Infinity with aluminium - promised 45 Mbps - was 18 Mbps, went to 6 Mbps, went to 25 Mbps and now back to 14 Mbps!) Smiley Indifferent Stuck in a contract too until May.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 83 of 87

Go to solution

You can contact the mods here, they will normally take 3 days to respond.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Locky
Expert
Message 84 of 87

Go to solution

Not all Alu is bad. I mums line is 155meters of Alu and she gets a solid 79999 sync with 0 crc errors and 94mb max attainable rate.

I know it's 100% Alu as I have seem the Alu ties on the cab my self.

0 Ratings
chrcoluk
Aspiring Expert
Message 85 of 87

Go to solution

ok here is my thoughts.

First of all there is various types of copper used by BT.

most people think its just ali or copper, but there is varying degrees also of cable diameter, eg. thick ali can be better than thin copper, obviously usually thick copper is the best to have.  There is probably very easy ways to tell if its poor or good cable but this info isnt out in the open much as I suspect the likes of openreach dont want people to know, remember now the modems even come locked by default, as they dont want people to even know their sync speeds, error rates etc.

When I was on adsl I am 1.65km from the exchange but the attenuation was 50db, which would equal a line length of 4km or more, on top of this huge difference in distance to attenuation I also had various dropouts, noise issues and so on making the service a nightmare.  I eventually moved to cable.

Now there is 2 FTTC cabinets near me enabled since dec.  One is across the road from me, sadly isnt my cabinet.  The other is on my road but about 200m distance away if direct on the road.

I initially synced at the full 80/20 but didnt know attainable rates.

A week into the service was curious so unlocked the modem and seen I had 110/36 attainable and was impressed.  I was getting occasional short bursts of crc errors tho even tho had a healthy noise margin and outside of the bursts the error rate was higher than average.  But nothing like my adsl was.  Compared to that this is extremely stable.

So what happened then?

The day after I unlocked my modem my attainable sync dropped to 90/36.  I still kept the 80/20 sync and line was otherwise stable.  This got me worried as was a huge sudden drop.  At this point I was aware from research crosstalk can be heavy on vdsl2 but it would come in gradually not such a big jump.

A week after that event it dropped to 73/24 attainable sync which caused my sync to drop to 71/20.  With my downstream rate now on a 6db margin the error rate was averaging about 500-600 a day vs the 200-300 a day on a 14db margin.  Still quite a good error rate, comparison adsl on fast path was 100k or more per day.  But other peole have reported much lower error rates.

Now ultimately my service remains stable, the only 2 sync drops I have had out my control were when it dropped to 73/20 and a power cut.  DLM hasnt touched my line at all.  I still have a 71/20 service which is close to full sync and above my estimated of 65.9/20.  However my concern is I have lost over 30% of my attinable sync in the matter of a few weeks when the cabinet is still fairly empty, at this rate of loss I could easily be under 40mbit when its full.  The intensity of the loss doesnt seem right, but I bet if I complained they would consider it as a 10% loss (80 to 71) as I am not supposed to know my attainable speed and just tell me I am still above the estimate plus the fact there is no minimal speed on this service, adsl did at least have the MSR figure.

So the good news is vectoring I think will eventually be turned on, this cancels out 95% of crosstalk, and I expect most people would see a decent jump in sync speeds in heavy takeup areas.  What it wont do is cancel noise that isnt crosstalk or fix line faults.  I suspect my d-side isnt too great and for whatever reason suspectable to crosstalk more than average.  The line attenuation on my vdsl suggests a 0.5km length when I am 200m by road.

Everything else on the service is great tho, super stable, no packet loss, and throughput the same 24/7.  No congestion.

dondoman
Beginner
Message 86 of 87

Go to solution

I too have a fair length of aluminium cable in the 1300 metres that I am from the fibre cabinet and the result is poor, so poor in fact that after an engineers visit I was offered the option to terminate the agreement and go back to normal broadband (7Mb down and 0.48Mb upload).  I did try connecteng directly through the ECI modem in case the HH4 was duff but the download difference was just 0.4Mb which is an irrelevant difference.

Somehow or other I don't think that Openreach is going to be digging up roads, climbing poles, etc, just to fix this problem so will have to live with it.  Oh the joys of living in the sticks.

The Openreach Infinity 1 estimate is still 23Mb down and 4Mb up ..,  I will advise the neighbours that they won't be getting those speeds (nearest neighbour iis at least another 500 meters away with cable over poles through fields so doubt they will get even what I have, bandwidth-wise.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 87 of 87

Go to solution
Whats your ip profile set to?
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings