Did you mean: 
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 81 of 103

Re: Really poor speeds from 6pm through to 1am EVERY day

@Grassisalwaysgreener wrote:

@licquorice

"Distinguished Guru"

I didn't realise there were BT Fan Boys!

Do not confuse those labels with anything that people might think. Are you, for example, really "aspiring"? I'm not.

Those tags arrive as if by magic as people stick around and contribute to the to and fro. Then the forum software does its thing, probably on the basis of some brainy algorithm.

You could get the "Distinguished Guru" label even if you thought BT was a hopeless shower. (I have no idea what licquorice thinks about BT.) Just post enough messages and say enough things that can help people to survive the "experience" that is BT broadband.

Most people turn up here with problems. (That's how I got here.) Then when the problems go away they leave too.

This is one reason why most of the stuff you read here is of a whining nature. It is also why it can get very repetitive.

Some of us stick around because we have nothing better to do and think we have a little bit of knowledge that can be useful to other users. I know that it is unfashionable to be helpful these days, but some of us can't shake the habit.

0 Ratings
Message 82 of 103

My full apologies.

I have just returned to the forum having watched the utterly frivolous "Strictly" event on the BBC carrier (each of us has weaknesses (including my spelling)).

I've never thought of a forum as a way of people purely gutting their venom, but now you point it out to me, wow, I  am amazed.

With you on my side, I'm sure BT will resolve my (IT'S BASICALLY THEIR PROBLEM, AND THEY ARE DE-FRAUDING PEOPLE BY SELLING THEM SOMETHING THEY CANNOT DELIVER) problem super quick.

Thanks.

We should not be fighting amongst ourselves, BT is the evil here.  Anyone here know anyone we can target for direct action?

0 Ratings
Scottyboi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 83 of 103

An update on my original problem, it looks like BTWholesale have sorted out the speed issue, this weekend i've seen normal performance except a drop on friday night to 11Mb. But kudos where kudos is due, it seems to be fixed. Hopefully it's not a short term fix and they implemented enough bandwidth or whatever to cope with any infux around the times of their sales they might get. I don't want to be back where i was again in a month or two.

So my original issue is fixed and hopefully these others will be fixed soon too.

0 Ratings
Message 84 of 103

Brilliant.

What compensation have BT offered you for the month you have not been receiving what you purchased?

0 Ratings
Smiffy642
Beginner
Message 85 of 103

Is there somewhere I can check to see if my local area is due repair/upgrade? I've been experiencing the same issues for about a month and would love to know if there's any light at the end of the tunnel. 

0 Ratings
DarlosFinest
Beginner
Message 86 of 103

Same here, been going on since end of August, becoming a joke now when paying 55 quid a month.

Fine speed during night and day, despite ping being an issue sometimes then prime time hits and bang down to 7-12mb from 66mb. Darlington Area.
0 Ratings
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 87 of 103

Does this ring any bells with those suffering from broadband night starvation?

Prefer consistent connectivity to erratic high speed | William Webb | Pulse | LinkedIn

As William* says:

there is a growing body of insight which suggests that for many speed has reached the point where further gains are of limited value and what is becoming much more important is consistency

I don't know about anyone else, but a service that delivers 66 Mbps during the day and 12 Mbps (if you are lucky) at night is less useful and less frustrating than something that gives a consistent 40 perhaps even 30 Mbps.

* Declaration of interest, we are on a committee together at the Royal Academy of Engineering.

** God help, anyone who gets anything measured in mbps.

0 Ratings
Scottyboi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 88 of 103

I spoke too soon... 2Mbps tonight... bang goes my nice relaxing movie night.

0 Ratings
Message 89 of 103

Scottyboi,

I was told mine had been fixed, but it is still slow.

I think more perseverance is needed!!

I've just moved a PC to connect directly to my router, and gone through the whole BT Wholesale process of testing my speed;

Tonight at 7:30 it was 3.59 Mbps download.

I understand the techies on here who state this needs to be done, but with the difference between 50 Mbps this morning and now, I don't see how connecting it wirelessly and cabled shows much.

I hope I uploaded the results correctly so that maybe BT will finally understand the problem.

Since joining BT on 26th August, I just haven't had the service I have been paying for in the evenings.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
michaelkenward
Aspiring Expert
Message 90 of 103

What were the results for the IP Profile and noise when you used BTW to run tests?

Real wizards can divine a lot from those results.

@Grassisalwaysgreener wrote:
...I don't see how connecting it wirelessly and cabled shows much.

Because wireless is a hopeless way of testing anything. (It is a dangerous way of setting up a modem, for example.) Wifi tests are unreliable and open to interference.

Maybe a neighbour is using the same wifi channels. Perhaps the microwave oven is chuntering away in the kitchen.

BT does a lot of things that don't make sense, but requiring users to conduct test over a wired network that uses its own (BT Wholesale) test site isn't one of them. It eliminates unknown variables.

The fact that you don't understand this may also tempt some people to dismiss your reports of what is happening. It will certainly slow down any resolution processes.

The choice is yours. Follow the scripts and people, including BT, will take you more seriously.

0 Ratings